The Might of Sword Rain

"An alpha must always be patient. Do not let anger rule you, let yourself rule it."

When Texas was a child, these were among the words spoken to her again and again. Usually, they were when she was frustrated over an assignment or after being told she couldn't have or do something. Her parents had done well in reminding her this lesson wherever it was applicable, and it was thanks to them that she had as good of a reign on her temper as she did. With so much hectic things happening in her life, there was no telling just when she would need that guidance.

Texas would be lying if she said she didn't miss it, but right now all of her control was falling to the wayside. She had been keeping her feelings under control for so long now. Emotions kept hurting her after the loss of Lappland in her life. It had been easier to shut down her ability to feel pain when she was at Penguin Logistics, forget all the agony of lost opportunity and loss plain and simple. But with Lappland's return into her life came the memories she had tried so hard to forget. She was so vehemently against them at first, causing her to push the white wolf away whenever she tried getting close. Fear was an overpowering emotion. She may never admit it aloud but . . . Some part of her had been afraid. Texas recognized the feeling for what it was now, hope hidden deep within the darkness.

And oh did she want to hope again.

But first . . .

There was something else she had to handle.

Someone who had made her very, very, VERY angry.

The primal side of her was raging as she leapt down from the platform with Exusiai, her bicolored gaze not leaving her new opponent's for a single second, with the exception of the briefest heartbeat that she took in Lappland and Croissant. Both of them were hurting; both of them were injured. It was because of this women. She would suffer dearly for it.

"No. I don't think so."

"Boss! You're here!" Croissant exclaimed excitedly. There was a tiredness in the defender's form as she hunched forward, her injuries recognizable enough to further stir the pot of anger within.

"Texas . . ." Lappland said her name like it was somewhere between an exhalation and a prayer, like Texas was all she was looking for. Her heart warmed at the possibility, opening up in a way it refused in so long as a familiar love shined through.

"Guys! Are you okay!?" Exusiai was asking from right behind her. The sankta landed a little less neatly then she had on the slippery ground. The dark shards glued to the concrete seemed to crack under their boots. Small puffs of dark mist came with it, a sort of dark winter that one could only dream up in their nightmares.

Texas growled lowly, pitched down for Exusiai alone to hear. "Go get them out of here. Try to find Sora and Gavial and get some help."

She didn't need to turn to know Exusiai's eyes were widening. "But what about you? We can't just leave you here alone."

Texas shook her head. "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. FrostNova isn't the first Infected I've taken on, and she won't be the last either. Just trust me."

"I do trust you but . . ."

"But nothing. There's no time to think about this Exusiai. You and the others will only be at worst risk if you hang around. The best thing you can do is get me some help. Maybe one of them has a communicator on them."

"I—" Exusiai swallowed. "Okay. Please stay safe Texas. If you get hurt I don't know what I'll do."

Texas gave her a side eyed nod. "I'll do my best."

The trust between them was momentous. Texas knew she could count on Exusiai to get Croissant and Lappland out of danger. Now onto the next matter of business. She met the dark gaze of FrostNova head on. The Reunion leader had backed up slightly upon Texas and Exusiai's intrusion. Those dark icicles of death floated around her in zero-gravity, promising an upcoming bloodbath of a fight.