Days of Forgotten Past 7

A/N: Soooooo . . . this chapter is sad, not gonna lie. It hurts to write sad things for characters I love so much but it had to be done. That being said, most of you probably figured out things were going to go downhill eventually for Texas and Lappland in Days of Forgotten Past so at least you were expecting it. Luckily next update should happy times and fluff and bonding with Penguin Logistics. So I hope you guys enjoy and feel free to comment on the angst.

Oh! And super mega proud that this story reached 3k reads! It means a lot to know everyone is enjoying the story! Eventually I may try to do a double update to spoil y'all if I find the time. Until then enjoy!

********

Texas had no idea how many months had passed before Emperor decided to go on his way. However, she did remember their last conversation together. It had been at a small café. The leaves were just beginning to change, shifting from a lush green to a crispy orange. The pair had sat outside the small establishment, backs pressed against the dark metal of decorated chairs. A tablecloth of plain white was thrown over the table, probably for aesthetic, although it might have also been to hide the shortness of one of the table legs. A small cup had been shoved under it to make up for the difference, though every time her hand landed on the uneven surface it shook.

"It'll be sad to see you go Emperor. You're a good friend."

The seasons shifting hadn't been the only change. As the wind grew colder Lappland became more distant, sharper when approached. Never before had it felt like there was a wall between them, but lately things were different. Lately, Lappland had been doing everything in her power to keep her distance from Texas. Sometimes this would even result in snappiness. Texas wished she knew what went wrong. If I knew I could fix it. And that wasn't all either. With a spike in cold weather came the hordes of infected to their defined borders. Infected whom Lappland regarded with murderous vehemence. It was startling just how vicious her girlfriend was becoming. Dreams filled with nightmarish visions haunted her. Blood was everywhere, with Lappland at the heart of it all.

And that was why having Emperor around was a small blessing. He made Texas forget her troubles, even if it was only for a short while.

"You too Texas. You too. People like you are hard to find."

She sipped her drink, the cream sliding down her throat. Wolves didn't have much of a sweet tooth and Texas was no exception. However, coffee with cream and sugar was an exception, as was hot chocolate.

"So are people like you. Where do you plan to go next?"

Emperor shrugged. "Neither here nor there. The beaches would be pretty nice this time of year but . . . I was thinking it be about time to start building my empire."

Her mind scrolled through their past conversations, falling on a few occasions. They tugged at her, gladly reminding whenever something was forgotten. "Oh. You're still set on making a Logistics company then." She had no idea why the idea was so entertaining to Emperor. Perhaps it would allow for him to travel more? His other associates didn't seem to care either way what the penguin did, just as long as it made them money. One thing was for certain, Emperor had eyes and ears everywhere. He was probably as omniscient as a person could get.

Emperor grappled at his own drink with both flippers. The residual cream was a strange mustache on his orange beak. "Yes indeed. Yes indeed. And just like before my offer still stands. I could use someone like you to build my Penguin Empire."

She resisted chuckling. The idea of going somewhere new probably never would've appealed to her before, but now a small side of her was flattered to be asked, especially considering the first time he had offered she outright rejected him. Just because I'm to be alpha doesn't mean I shouldn't get to experience the world. The elders would probably say she was being selfish. There should be nothing more important in her life than serving the pack. But maybe new experiences could help me be a better alpha. And maybe I . . . I could find some help for her. So far none of the Healers she'd asked had given any fruitful answers on improving Lappland's condition. Often they would ask for face to face examinations, but seeing as Lappland wasn't supposed to know about her concern, well, that put a wrench in her plans. So supplying the white wolf with headache medicine and ice packs would have to do for now.