Travel Across the Land (plus Deleted Scene)

Anna: So before we begin this next chapter, there's something I need to ask Mostima. I was supposed to ask her last time but I completely forgot hahahaha.

Texas: Forgive the author for being sleep deprived. The struggle is real.

Mostima: Why do I have to do this again? And where did Texas go?

Anna: Because I said so. And the story can't resume until you answer. As for Texas, well, she understands enough to know when to answer a summons. (real talk: gotten her five times now in game, like why even—)

Mostima: *sighs* Fine. What is it then?

Anna: The readers know your opinion of Texas, Lappland and Exusiai but what they want to know is what is your opinion on Croissant and Sora?

Mostima: My opinion on Croissant and Sora . . . I guess they're alright. Blondy wielding the chainsaw last chapter was pretty weird though . . . that isn't going to be a normal thing, is it?

Anna: Haha no. Rest assured, while it was funny to write, wielding a chainsaw isn't exactly on par with Sora's character. So it was really just for the fans. Some fan service if you will. And yes, before you ask Blaze signed off on letting me borrow the chainsaw in exchange for, well, you'll see very soon.

Mostima: Fan service? And whose Blaze? What exactly do you mean by—

Anna: Anyways, with that question answered let's start the chapter!

*******

The van, the dear old vehicle which had survived multiple crashes and even busting through a building, was found to be out of gas a few minutes before they departed. Luckily, Emperor happened to have a copious amount of it stored in some closet. He loaded the van up and sent them on the way with a calming farewell. His words of warning still lingered on Texas's mind when they left Lungmen.

"Tried not to get yourself killed. Take care of yourself and the others."

She had responded with an "of course I won't" and "you have nothing to worry about" which only served to darken Emperor's expression further. Something told her it wasn't the latter statement that had set him off. Either way, her head felt clouded with heavy emotion. It matched the atmosphere of the thick clouds overhead, warning of the coming storm. Ugh. I hope the weather doesn't continue like this. It'll be dangerous once it starts pouring. Maybe I should—

"Hey Texas, are we there yet?"

The out of the blue question had her turning a raised eyebrow at Lappland who sat in a very un-ladylike fashion behind Exusiai who had retained shotgun by calling dibs. Her impish smile eased something in her concerns as good natured annoyance took its place.

"You and I both know it'll take awhile before we read Columbia." We barely even left Lungmen. Nearing the outskirts of the mobile city, it became clear that there were minimal exits thanks to certain foreign (Reunion) interference.

"I know. Just thought you were tense."

Lappland reached over to pat her shoulder. The soft thump pushed on her cooled skin. With the air conditioning blasting on high —per Croissant's request— some parts of her were growing numb as goosebumps popped up. The faint hum of two other engines surrounded them on both sides. With the van so packed up it was a good thing Mostima and Suffering had solar powered bikes to spare. Laterano is so high tech. Makes you wonder just how much they've invested into the private sector of agent work.

Her foot pressed against the break as they slowed down. The exit point had finally came into view. It was little surprise that leaving a moving city required special procedures, which was usually why they waited for the city to stop before leaving. But as things were, such an option would not do. The acrid scent of fresh tar creeped into the vehicle as she rolled down the window. The toll booth like station was right in front of them. Her interested waned as an LGD transport officer walked up to her window. An nondescript otter guy who was more fur than skin, the glasses perched on his nose were a small attempt at appearing cool. The gun holstered in his belt was likely fake.