Something's Not Quite Right

Mostima squinted. It was hard to made heads or tails of the weird landscape she and Suffering had ended up in. What was supposed to be a Siracusan town seemed oddly empty. The faint rustle of wind rolled the mist that went up to waist height. Buildings loomed around them, their wood an old grey from years of dirt and debris.

"Where is everyone?" Suffering wondered.

Mostima frowned, an unsettled sensation spurring her on to walk further into the mist. Her partner rarely voiced the things she thought out loud. The small grunts and nods were a language she was accustomed to. Not this. An open admittance made it certain Suffering was just as concerned by the lack of presence in the town.

"I don't know. But we have to find out what happened here."

And find out they would.

*******

Never did going home make her feel so uncomfortable before.

Texas forced her head to remain level as they finally broke through the last stretch of trees. The walk across the remaining bridge was short, but her mind had noted every step. Thirty two was a number she did not take to before now, each footstep like a countdown to her impending fate. There's no need to be nervous Texas. This is the one place where you'll always belong. She used to take a great sense of comfort in this. It was something a smaller, younger Texas told herself whenever she felt alone, during the late nights when her parents had yet to come back from meetings and Lappland had yet to enter her life. I didn't know how lonely I was then. Not until I met her.

Lappland, her girlfriend who she once cast out from her home. From their home.

I won't make the same mistake again.

Because she knew the truth now; Lappland was not to blame for the past.

No, that would be someone else.

It was more than a little unsettling to know the person responsible had gotten away scotch free. Just what was the reason behind the fire? Who would want Gran dead? But this was no time to wonder about that. Even if it lingered within her like an evil ghost, waiting to haunt her yet again, Texas had to put it aside. Whatever killed her, whoever killed her, their plan didn't succeed in the end. This going under the assumption that this plan had been the ruination of the Texas pack.

But of course, there was so much she did not know yet.

"It's almost the same as I remember it." Lappland spoke up, her voice barely above a whisper.

And Texas could only hum her agreement as the beginnings of their old home became prevalent. Fog shrouded the buildings, but she recognized them anyways. Their faintly lit street signs and architecture was all too familiar. The wolves walking in the street were slightly less so. The outfits were changed with the times of fashion, some new faces in the crowd too, the men in their suits and the women wearing either dresses or pantsuits.

"I didn't realize the Texas wolves were so entrepreneurial." Exusiai murmured. The pinkette flanked her right side, while Lappland claimed her left.

"Wonder what they're selling." Croissant squinted at the crowd.

Little stands were set up outside the buildings. Most of them were food, but Texas knew there was the daily exchange of weapons too. Though back alleys were their common location, at least one would be right in front of the major banks. Lappland used to say it was because tired bankers made the best serial killers when their patience was lost. She had smacked her for that. Better not remind her, or she'll say it again just to get on my nerves.