Lappland and Courier

It had been a long time since Lappland had been around civilization, or anyone for that matter. Hunting in the woods encompassed her entire life for who knew how long at this point. Out in the forest she was her own free wolf. There was no one to tie her down out here, she could do whatever she wanted with no complaints. And that extended to killing whoever or whatever she wanted to. If the bloodlust rose up in her, she struck. Kills were racked up with vicious speed. So in short, life had been good, mindless in a way the wild hunt could only be.

But after awhile even she became bored.

So you could imagine her surprise at being invited to join a Pharmaceutical company of all things.

"And this isn't just some joke?" She recalled asking the timid looking delivery boy. He was out of place in the woods, dressed in a red bandanna/scarf thing like some wannabe Wild West impersonator accompanied by a white jacket and dark cargo pants. His wide eyes had been fixated on her the entire time she was reading, probably worrying over the sight of her bloodstained sleeves and boots and the wicked edges of her twin swords. There came a certain point where clothes would get thrown out, whenever the blood could not be removed.

"N-no, it isn't. Doctor [Y/N] and all of Rhodes Island invites you to join us. If you're willing to, that is. We'd hate to interrupt you if you're um . . .busy." He settled on the last word like it was the best option he could come up with. Likely the safest option too. Lappland would hardly have been offended though if he mentioned the obvious bloodshed she carried in droves on her gear. Gory conversations could be entertaining on any and all occasions to her considering how she was raised.

"You can come out and say it. I won't mind."

"I'd r-rather not."

Lappland kept her grip on the hilt of he sword. One remained strapped to her back. The other went up to point at the young man's neck, causing a small sound of fear to rise from the back of the guy's throat. She would not hurt him of course. Inspiring fear came naturally to her. Plus, it was the quickest way to come by answers.

"Now Coulson . . ."

"It's Courier a-actually."

Lappland smiled toothily at the name correction, showing off her slightly sharper than normal incisors. Saying these words made Courier tremble, the ears nestled at the top of his head twitching like they were trying to run only to realize they could not. On his arm band there were two different marks. One was like the archways you might see from that place in Sydney, performing arts blasting out in humid air. It was the other symbol she was more curious about. Three long slashes all of equal length.

A Vanguard's Symbol. But why would a bunny like him have one?

"Tell me Courier, why do you have a Vanguard's symbol on your arm?" She asked.

The bunny man rubbed at the back of his throat, blue eyes blinking rapidly. "Well, that's because Rhodes Island isn't just a Pharmaceutical Company." He seemed to be deliberating over whether or not to tell her more. Lappland's interest was peeked.

"Oh, do tell."

"At Rhodes Island, it's our goal to find a cure for the infection so many of our members have. Our other goal is help others, and as a result sometimes we have to get into harm's way." Courier explained, a bit of confidence coming into his voice as he spoke passionately. "Dr. [Y/N] commands us in each battle, whether it be against Reunion or just some common thugs."

"Oh, I didn't realize Doctor [Y/N] was a commander." Her lips curled up in a smile. Fighting was something she enjoyed very much.

"Yes, and also the lead researcher in Oripathy. Doctor is so smart!" Courier was waving his hands in the air for emphasis. His dark, shaggy hair was ruffled by the wind. His long ears also fluttered expressively.

"Hmm, they sound impressive, but I'm not sure what all this has to do with me."

"We invite you to Rhodes Island Lappland because we require someone with your . . . expertise."

"Haha! You mean someone who can slice and dice the likes of Reunion up into itty bitty pieces." She was leering at him now. Courier stepped back a little, his boots crunching on the grass.

"Sure, if that's the way you want to put it. Rhodes Island will let you fight our enemies and give you a family of people who understand what you're going through." Courier told her.

She thought of her parents in this small moment. It had been so long ago since she had last seen their faces. She could hardly remember what they looked like now. Only their scent and teachings remained imprinted in her mind. They were the first to teach her the importance of killing, and the importance of a wolf being free to choose their own path. If only they lived longer . . .

"I doubt anyone could understand me." Her mind went to one person in particular. Dark hair and pointed ears with a set of wide eyes a shade of glittering amber. Her tail had been thin, as had most of her frame. She still was one of the strongest people Lappland had ever known. But those days were over now.

"I never want to see you again."

"You might think so now, but trust me Rhodes Island will surprise you. And, even if you only come just to check things out, think of all the people you'll get to meet."

"If you couldn't see already, I don't really care for the company of others."

"Yes, but I'm sure this can get boring once and awhile," Courier said, echoing her own thoughts from earlier. He was slouching back against a tree. Somewhere a long the line Courier had come to the conclusion she would not hurt him. Lappland did not know whether to be annoyed by this or not.

"Fair enough."

"So you'll come?" He sounded hopeful.

"I'll consider it." Lappland told him. She wouldn't give him anything more currently, not before she thought things through. Heh. Me, thinking things through. In reality, she already knew what she would choose, it was just a matter of finding the Rhodes Island traveling ship.

"That's all I ask. And here, take this."

He passed off a small, circular disk to her. Lappland snatched it out of his grip, sniffing the item curiously. It was a dark metallic thing. There was a blank screen at the center of it, buttons of pale plastic were located off to the side. She pressed one button —a stout round one— watching as a blue-white light suddenly appeared. A holographic map appeared, a little red dot on the radar not far away from a much larger red dot.

"What is this thing? Is it a tracker? You're not going to track me, are you?" Lappland let a growl rise in the back of her throat. Courier stiffened at her animalistic sound, ears flattening to his head. He was afraid of her again.

Good.

"N-no. Not at all. It's a one-way map. The large red dot symbolizes where Rhodes Island is, and the smaller one represents where we are. There's a compass on it too, so you should be able to use it to lead you to Rhodes Island. If you decide to come that is." He was eyeing her warily, though there was a smile on his face in attempt to seem welcoming.

"Okay then. Maybe I'll see you around."

"Wait, where are you—"

But Lappland wasn't listening anymore. She sprinted off, disappearing into the fog of the woods. The birds chittered overhead as she ran, and ran, and ran.