When the Wolves Meet

Texas made her way through the dormitory, stretching her arms behind her head. After getting some rest and hanging out with Exusaia for a few hours, she felt much better about returning back to work. Most of Penguin Logistics was set to head out with Doctor [Y/N] and Amiya along with a few members of BlackSteel later that week to Lungmen. They would be finishing up their before more recon missions could commence at the deserted cities.

Her shoes scuffed on the floor as the automatic door swooshed open. With Texas's gaze fixed on the tablet she had been carrying with her — to plot out the safest route back to Lungmen— she didn't realize someone was in her path until it was too late. The collision with the hard surface sent her falling backwards. She was saved from her back planting into the floorboards only by the hand grabbing at the front of her long sleeved shirt. The tug was sharp but held true.

Black spots danced in her vision, Texas blinked them away as she was set back on her feet. Still not paying attention to who exactly had come to her rescue, she rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly. "Sorry about that, wasn't looking where I was going."

There was an unnatural pause. "Texas? Is that you?"

Her vision cleared. She was met with two gray eyes staring back at her, a slash running through one lid but still not ruining the sight of the eye it corresponded to. The woman was dressed similarly to the last time Texas had seen her, with a few new additions. Lapels and buckles kept a dark coat tight to the other Lupus's frame. Their skin was a frosty pale color like the cold wind during winter. The double sword combo she wielded was still in place, though it had been upgraded by two much more wicked looking swords with circular hilts. Her face which so often held a manic grin was frowning in disbelief that Texas was sure reflected in her own face.

"Lappland!?" Her voice came spilling out like water flowing out of a cup. She could not stop the words even if she wanted to.

Lappland stood in front of her, ears erect with her gray-white hair flowing down her back. Her tail wagged behind her slightly, as though she was actually happy to see Texas. The manic grin crept back up just as the black gem pattern on her leg caught the light. The little gems were a reminder of the events leading up to their separation all those years ago. Gray eyes were sweeping over Texas. She tried not to feel intimidated by such a hungry gaze.

"What are you doing here?" She asked sharply. Her words held a dagger-like intensity to them, more of an accusation than a question.

Lappland kept her smile, eyes blinking slowly with the understanding that Texas really was in front of her. "Haven't you heard, Doctor [Y/N] has recruited me to become a member of Rhodes Island. I'm guessing you work here too," Gray eyes narrowed slightly at something. "Or are you just hired to help out from some other company. What's Penguin Logistics?"

"I'm a part of both groups actually, not that it's any of your business." Texas snapped. Why oh why did she feel the need to go on the defensive around Lappland. Maybe it was because the other Lupus was the embodiment of a version of her she had locked away a long time ago, throwing the key in a bottomless pit of a lake where it might never be found.

Lappland held up one hand in a placating gesture, the other snaking down one of her two swords. Judging by the belt she wore, Texas guessed the weapons could remain strapped to both of her hips or be holstered on the same side. Or she could just keep the extra slot for storing weapons.

"Hey now, no need to get so snippy." A sly grin slid onto her face. Texas knew that look. "Unless you want to fight, though I doubt that getup will benefit you in anyway. Just look at your silly little name tag." Lappland lifted a sword to poke at the plastic little tag clipped to her shirt. She caught the blade with her bare hand before shoving it away. Her movements were precise enough she did not cut herself.

"I would rather you stop insulting the company I work for. What are you doing here Lappland?"

"Have you hit your head? I already told you."

Texas shook her head. "No. I mean why are you really here? This place, these people, they're not for someone like you."

"Ouch, I'm offended. This place is supposed to treat Infected like me. You're not Infected, maybe I should be asking why you're here instead." Lappland was toying with her, she just knew it. That wide smile, her hands waving like fluttering butterflies that could snap your neck in an instant, all just a ploy.

"Uh huh."

"Now now Texas. I know we've had our differences—"

"That's an understatement." Texas crossed her arms over her chest, keeping up her steely glare.

"But I really did come here for help."

"I'm sure the prospect of paid murder excited you too." Texas tried to imagine Lappland's reaction to receiving an invitation to join Rhodes Island. Whoever went through all the trouble to find her was probably scared witless when they met her. Blood of her enemies was like a second skin for the other Lupus.

"Well, I've gotta make ends meet somehow." Lappland shrugged. "How've you been? It's been a long time since . . ." She trailed off, her expression darkening for just a moment. Texas was sure her own had darkened too. The last time they'd seen each other was one of the worst days of her life.

"Yes." Texas found herself fiddling with the hem of her shirt. The room, despite its air conditioning, felt awfully hot. "If that's all, I'll be going then."

"Oh." Lappland sounded disappointed. "I guess we'll just have to catch up again later. Go to the sparring room, fight a few rounds like the good ole days."

Texas's jaw clenched, teeth grinding against one another. Lupos were known for having sharp canines. They were much more carnivorous compared to many other animals. "No, I don't think we will." She gritted out before walking away. Texas paid no mind to whatever Lappland might've called out from somewhere behind her. Getting into the elevator she clicked the top floor button.

Texas had a Doctor to visit. And she was going give them a piece of her mind.