Days of Remembrance 9

A/N: Okay, so I know this is late, but I think it'll be worth the wait for everyone. I strongly recommend reading until the end. If you aren't okay with mature things, the ending is not for you and you can skip it. With that said, enjoy!

*******

There was a high point before everything fell.

The ball would drop, but not before this moment.

Lappland ran alongside the rest of their little pack, blood pulsing under skin as the scenery blurred with the rush of wind. She heard the panting of Eagle and Hawke who flanked her, the exhaustion in Bright's heaving gasps. Texas led them —as always— with little Aura trailing eagerly on her tail. The little wolf was still new enough for this discretion to be let slide. Hierarchies were important for many different species and wolves were no exception. Though, if she was being completely honest Lappland hardly minded Aura's little slip ups. She was too cute to stay mad at for long. Just like a little puppy.

"A-are we done?" Bright asked, leaning over as her stomach heaved.

Texas had halted them in the main square, her bicolored eyes tracking the movements around them. It was the end of the work day. Men and women dressed in finely tailored suits walked out with briefcases in tow. Hats were tipped and the secretive murmurs of a group of women passed by them. Leaf litter picked up with the breeze and hit the lit lamps.

"I should think so. We patrolled twice over." Eagle grunted.

"Hmm, I wouldn't say if I were you." Hawke took a sip from her water bottle.

"Texas's probably have us go again if you do." Lappland admitted under her breath.

"What did you say?"

Texas whirled around at that, tail nearly smacking Aura in the chest in the process. The small girl just barely avoided the accidental collision, big eyes wide as she stared at the tired annoyance on Texas's face. Things between them had been somewhat troubled lately. Stirring the waters was hardly the best idea. Texas had forgiven her, yet she knew the Infection had to be on her girlfriend's mind. And yet . . .

"I said you'll probably make us do it again. Isn't that right, our esteemed leader?" She responded, donning a smirk despite the muttered warnings of the other members of their pack.

Texas stepped forward then, a low growl rumbling in her chest. "You dare make predictions about my behavior?" There was a glint in her eyes that read something different then simple, riveting anger. A wolf like herself who was wild born picked up on it immediately, the sense of desire so deeply engrained in the recesses of her brain it was impossible to miss. So you like trouble making hmm . . .

Deciding to test her luck, Lappland kept going. "Yep, I do."

"You're being very insolent." Texas stated.

Lappland took another step closer. They were less than three feet apart now, and she could practically taste the hunger in Texas's expression. This was something infection hindered neither of them in. "Maybe you're just being too much of a drill sergeant. Making us work all day without any fun. Whatever happened to bonding night?"

For a second she almost thought this was the wrong choice of words. Texas averted her gaze briefly, wolf ears twitching. It was hard to have deep bonding sessions with the secret of her wounded leg precariously hidden from the others. Neither of them were foolish enough to think the lie could go on forever. And they did not plan to deny the truth either should it be brought up. But how exactly do we bring it up? That was the big question.

And there still was no clear answer.

Texas's raised head had her thoughts derailing however, face tightening as an impact came.