A Piece of her Mind

Doctor [Y/N] was busy talking to another operator when she was in. One hand was holding up a slightly burnt sheet of paper. Letters were scribbled on the sheet, an A written in bright red was at the top corner. The blond girl with horns —Ifrit— was smiling in delight. A flame was lit in one of her hands, a happy little thing instead of tie monstrous nightmares she so often concocted.

"Of course the Mighty Ifrit got an A on her test! I conquered it with ease. Right Doctor?"

"Yes you did Ifrit. I'll have to give you something even more difficult next time." Doctor was saying.

"Awwww! Do you have to?" Ifrit was pouting.

Doctor chuckled. "Why? Do you think you're not up to the challenge?"

"Of course I am!" Ifrit exclaimed with her hands thrown wide. Thankfully the flame on her hand had dispersed, saving the curtains in the room from a singed fate.

Texas remained in the entryway, watching the scene unfold. Just because she was angry didn't mean she should just barge in. The politeness trained into the core of her being was rearing it's annoying head again. It came with her status as a superior to her companions from Penguin Logistics and, on a lesser note, from her childhood days. Her parents' faces were almost faded out from her mind. Texas would never forget the last time she had seen them, red faced and teary eyed as they reached out for her before being forcibly dragged away. Her lungs had screamed until they were left raw and aching.

"Then you'll have no trouble with the next lessons. I'll be keeping track of your progress, and so will Silence. She's very proud of you too I'm sure, and so is—" Doctor's words were cut off as their hooded head looked in her direction. Texas kept herself leaning in the archway, gesturing with one hand to continue. Ifrit, who had noticed the Doctor's pause, turned to give Texas an annoyed glare befitting of her young age.

"Aww! Don't tell me I have to leave now. Why'd you have to come interrupt all my praise. So mean and stupid." Ifrit was huffing. Fire crackled at her fingertips and the temperature in the room increased at a big enough interval to be noticeable.

"Ifrit, what did I say about being rude?" Doctor [Y/N] asked.

Ifrit let out a frustrated sigh. "Not to be rude because I wouldn't want people being that way to me. But Doctor, isn't barging in on our conversation also rude?"

"Yes. And that's why she was waiting at the door for us to finish."

"Oh. I see. So that's what I need to do next time Silence and Saria are talking?"

"When did that . . . ?" Doctor trailed off.

Ifrit slapped a hand over her mouth. It fell away a few seconds later, the 'o' shape in her mouth had disappeared, replaced by a lax smile. "Never mind. I'll leave you two to it. Bye!" The young girl sprinted out the door. Heat drifted in her wake like an invisible flame.

"Don't forget class tomorrow!" Doctor called after her, shaking their head in amusement. "Some of the kids living here."

"I'm sure they're a handful." Texas commented. It was nice to see Ifrit finally getting along with the rest of Rhodes Island. Of course, her temper was still an issue to be worked on, but there had been mass improvement over the past few months alone.

"Yes, they are. But the end results are worth it. So Texas, I assume you're not here for a friendly chat about children. How about you take a seat."

Doctor [Y/N] motioned to the chair set out in front of the desk. She slid down into it, her fingers twiddling with the hem of her shirt. Her mind tried not to think about how Lapland must have sat in this very same chair when she was first brought in. What first impression had she presented to Doctor [Y/N]? Was it filled with the gruesome humor? How did Doctor react to such jokes?

It mustn't have been all that horrible, if she was allowed to stay. But what if the Doctor just didn't care about her abnormalities, the markings of a psychopath. They could be putting all of Rhodes Island in danger, her mind intoned. The anger from previously was reigniting in her blood.

"Yes. You're not wrong."

"So what can I do for you?" Doctor asked. The cheery tone was still in their voice. He could imagine Lappland being greeted with the same warmth. The Doctor really did have no idea just how dangerous the white wolf was.

"You let Lappland into Rhodes Island." Her voice felt frigid even to her. An icy coldness spread to her veins, trailing all the way down to her toes.

If the Doctor was surprised Texas was bringing this up, they did not show it. "Yes I did. She's starting on a probationary period of course. Lappland shows a lot of promise as an operator, just like I knew she would."

From her youngest years, raised in a prestigious family, Texas had learned not to make an outburst, to hold herself with prestige and poise. So the only changes in her were internal. The racing of her heart and the way her teeth grit were among a few.

"Doctor," She grit out. "Mind telling me why you didn't listen to my warning?" Her tail was rigid behind her, ears ramrod straight.

Doctor [Y/N] inclined their head. "I did listen to your warning Texas. Lapland is on the probationary period longer than I normally would recommend."

The news did alleviate some of her anger, but not enough for it to subside completely. "But Doctor . . ."

"I know you would've preferred I didn't give her any chance at all, but I hardly think that's fair," Doctor said.

Texas shook her head, anger returning. Her dark hair swayed like it was caught in a choppy wind. "This isn't about what's fair, this is about what's right. Lapland should've never been invited to join in the first place. I'm sorry Doctor, but this little plan of yours is just putting everyone in danger."

Doctor sighed. "I'm sorry you feel that way. But you have to realize Texas, Rhodes Island is meant to be a place where people can find a home, have a second chance. And if I can't do that for Lappland, what kind of person would I be?"

A smart person, her mind was shouting. Doctor [Y/N] did have a point, she knew. Just why did you kindness have to extend to her of all people!?

She rose up from her chair, the legs of it scraping the floor. "Alright. Then I guess I'll get going."

Doctor reached out and gripped her arm. Her whole body stiffened. When had been the last time someone had gripped her wrist like this? A day of dying. Someone dear had been lost. "Texas, could you please hold up for just a second?"

She nodded, emotions too ferocious to let out a tangible response in words. Doctor got up from their seat and went over to the filing cabinet. One section was yanked out rather forcibly, clanging as it reached the end. A hand was shoved inside. A moment later it retreated out with a file in hand. Wordlessly, Doctor placed the file in front of her, a silent gesture for her to have a look.

"What is this?" She eyed the folder, not quite sure if she should open it.

"Normally I wouldn't do this, even though it's not something I would get in trouble for, as all our Operators' privacy is important to me. This is all the information Rhodes Island has on Lappland."

The folder in front of her seemed to have a heavier weight now. "And what do you expect me to do with it?"

"Obviously you can't tell anyone, or Kal'tsit will kill me, but I want you to have a look inside. Seeing as you know Lappland so well, but don't feel like giving me any information on your backstory for . . . personal reasons, this way you can give me any extra information I should be made aware of without any concerns."

"Really?" She was surprised such an important task was being given to her.

"Of course. I trust you Texas. You and Penguin Logistics has helped us out more times than I'm sure I can recall." The Doctor chuckled. "So how about it?"

"Alright then." She opened the folder and began to read. A pen with red ink was pressed into her hand, reminding her of the color of blood. The words flowing from the utensil reminded her of all those years ago, when the streets of her hometown ran red.