Late Night, Sleep Tight

Time had went by quickly and soon enough the sun was gone and the urge to sleep urged the members of Penguin Logistics onto their rooms. Lappland felt a little lost here, out of place in this place she was in for the first time. Surely there should be no concerns. Texas had lived here for years. But Lappland couldn't help feeling nervous, the emotion keeping her from the sleeping realm.

Emperor had taken her to an empty room, the perfect place for her to stay while she was here. The temperature was cozy as a campfire. The wallpaper was a simple gold, bringing out the character of the cherrywood dresser and nightstand and bedposts. Brighter light peeked out from the bathroom attached to the spacious room. She could've turned it off —probably should've— but as she was, already tucked underneath the blue comforter with a little penguin embroidered into the bottom left corner, she just didn't have the desire to do so.

Silver eyes stared at the shuttered windows. The curtains were thick enough to block out almost all the natural light. Only a thin line of it struck the floor making it to the opposite wall to prod the mirror over the dresser. On her lonesome it should have been easy to shut her eyes and let sleep take her. But it wasn't. The new atmosphere just wasn't what she was used to. The sounds of the city could not replace the keening of foxes, the howling wolves, or the owls cawing into the night. And then there were the noises she'd grown accustom to much more recently. Rhodes Island always had generators softly humming day and night. The noise was like a soft, soothing vibration, white noise she could use to let her mind drift. They were akin to the restless ocean, beauty in the artificial wind similar to the breeze casting over salty sand.

Honking cars and ambulance alarms and shouting from somewhere just weren't the same.

****

Lappland growled as another ambulance zoomed by thundering of a fire truck. The terrible blare had broken her goal right as it had been about to happen. Maybe I should just find something else to do. I doubt I'll be getting any sleep tonight anyways. With that in mind she eased herself up off of the pillows. The blankets fell like a puddle on her lap.

Creak.

"Oh. So you're awake after all."

Blinking rapidly, Lappland picked out the shape standing in the open doorway. Exusiai's form was impossible to mistake with the glaringly bright halo over her head. She was dressed in a flowing night gown of pink satin, her hair even messier than normal.

"Exusiai what're you doing here?"

"I just came to check up on you. I thought you were asleep when you didn't answer my knock." Exusiai made the journey to Lappland's bed as she spoke. The mattress dipped slightly under her weight with a low groan.

"You knocked?" She couldn't recall such a sound. Perhaps the ambulance blocked it out. All these noises were frankly sensory overload for her brain. How does Texas stand this place? How did all the sound not make her deaf? Nowhere in the Texas Pack land had it been this noisy.

"Uh, yeah. I guess you must not have heard it."

No duh. Her annoyance was palpable, but riddled with a sleepiness she could not give into. Exusiai stared at her, amber eyes reflecting the blue light of the moon, giving them an almost Texas look to them. For a second, she allowed her mind to think it was Texas just coming to check up on her. But the imagery was gone between one blink and the next with the glaring wink of a bright halo to bring her back to reality. Texas was no doubt upstairs right now, fast asleep in the comfort of her own bed.

"Yeah no. I didn't."

"Having trouble sleeping?" Exusiai asked.

Lappland huffed. "What do you think?"