Biting Letters

Beep. BEep. BeEp. Beep . . .

Lappland glared at her phone, the voicemail coming up quick as the familiar message rang off again. She had wanted to wait for Texas to come back before heading to breakfast, but clearly that wasn't going to happen. So the white wolf shrugged on her black leather jacket before walking out of the room. The halls were dimly lit, boots scuffing on the rugged flooring as she made her way to the elevator. Jabbing a finger at the elevator button panel, Lappland waited no longer than a minute before the door was swinging open.

"—and if ya really have your heart set on it then I guess we can do that too . . . oh, hi Lappland." Croissant greeted, previous train of thought left in the dust as she stepped into the small, boxed space to join them. She and Sora were side by side in the elevator, dressed in casual clothing. The faint whiff of cold air clung to them. What were they outside for?

"Nice to see you." Sora nodded her way.

Lappland hummed. "I assume you're both heading to breakfast too."

"Yes. Is Texas not with you?" Croissant adjusted one of her custom gloves.

"Nah. She'll meet us there. Had some business to handle with the angry dragon lady first. Don't know why is has to be her though." She muttered. Emperor should be here to handle the company's business, not her. But her wishes would not be getting answered, so she might as well make the most of it.

"Yeah, I feel bad for her too. Tex always has to deal with all the niceties." Croissant shrugged. "I don' envy her in the slightest."

"At least she'll join us once she's finished." Sora inputted as the doors slid shut and the compartment began to move once more.

Lappland felt her stomach jolt at the sensation. This weird metal death trap . . . she doubted she would ever get used to in full. Croissant and Sora's idle posturing here was foreign to her tense one as her gaze drifted up to the grate at the top. In case of emergencies only . . . Though she also knew that if this thing were to suddenly drop to its poetic doom of smashing them all to bits, it was unlikely any of them would survive.

"So what were you two talking about moments ago? Sorry for interrupting."

"Oh. It was jus—"

"Nothing." Sora interrupted. "It was just nothing."

Croissant frowned at Sora. "I don't see the harm in telling 'er." The words were meant to come out as a light whisper, but Lappland picked up on them anyways.

"Well I do. Because I don't want her to know quite yet." Sora huffed.

"Ugh. If it's that upsetting then I'm better off not knowing."

Lappland rolled her eyes, the grate in the ceiling becoming the object of interest once more. Texas had explained all the exits of this building upon her request, even obscure ones that 'did not exist' and she was not supposed to mention should anyone asked. The little conversation had been nice —reassuring— in a sense that few conversations involving a huge building would be to a Lupo born in the wilderness.

"No you're not. Sora, you should tell her. Lappland can only help. Texas too." Croissant argued.

"Ugh. I don't know . . . I just . . . you won't laugh at me, will you? I know it'll sound kind of silly . . ." Sora trailed off, scuffing her shoe on the tiled floor.

Lappland met her gaze, blinking at her in what she hoped came off as a gesture of welcome. It was no false claim to say her and Sora were still . . . not the best of friends, and probably never would be. In all fairness, it was hard to push out the lingering instinct of protective rage whenever she saw the bunny—disguised—as—a—wolf cast a look Texas's direction. But she has stopped seeing her that way. Sora backed off. So should I.