Performance to Remember

Texas led them to what appeared to be a dugout of sorts. It was a level below the second crowd, with special raising platforms that could be turned on with the switch of one of the levers near the top. There were several rows upon rows of fans crowding the arena to watch their idol sing. The two Lupos had to crane their necks up to look at most of them, their screams and cheers blasting away at abused eardrums. Lappland pressed her hands over her wolf ears. Having two sets of ears could be such a pain sometimes.

"Gah! How do you stand all this noise Texas?" Lappland winced as a particularly loud scream filled her ears. It ringed in her brain like a banshee cry. She fought the urge to growl back.

Texas seemed unbothered, though her face was set in a thoughtful frown. She reached into her pocket, pulling out what appeared to be a small black bundle. It was carefully wrapped up with thin wires. Taking a second to realize the wires were made of rubber, she stared at it perplexed as Texas grabbed her left hand and pressed the object into her palm. Though the touch was fleeting, Lappland savored every second of it. The calloused skin and infinitesimal scars from fights long ago were things that Texas would keep with her for eternity, constant reminders of every aspect of her past.

"Put this on and pipe down."

"But what is it?" She asked.

Texas rolled her eyes, as if she figured an explanation while necessary was still tedious. There was another scream, this time louder than before. The dark haired Lupo took out a black walkie talkie and gave a hushed whisper into it. There was a quick response from a voice she'd never heard before and then static rolled in. Amber-blue eyes returned to her again.

"Noise cancelling earbuds and a walkie talkie. It's our job to report anything suspicious while we're here, so make sure to get that thing turned on and ready."

"Okay."

Lappland opened up the bundle, unsurprised to find the contents inside foreign to her. It wasn't as though she'd never had a phone before, mind you. No. Lappland had just never had a device like this in her possession. There was so many buttons, a few with symbols she didn't recognize. Not knowing what else to do, she sniffed it experimentally. Like most technology it was a plastic thing, the buttons a pliable rubber.

Texas swatted the rectangular device down from her face. "Don't smell it."

"Why not? I find that's the best way to understand something."

Texas sighed. "These things get passed around. There's no telling who had it last."

Now it was Lappland's turn to be annoyed. "Then why did you press yours to your face moments ago?" Surely germs were just as easily spread that way?

Texas grunted, shuffling in place. "I had to. These things don't have the best speakers, and like I said it's our job to report things."

"Then you should have no problem with me getting acquainted with mine in my own way then."

"Ugh, whatever, just don't be surprised if it stinks like sweat." Texas muttered.

Lappland took another sniff, and indeed the scent of putrid sweat filled her nose. She sneezed, nose wrinkling as she pulled the device away from her face. "I suppose you have a point." The admission was made begrudgingly. Asking for help was rather bothersome when using the device would probably turn out to be pretty simple, to the point where she arguably could figure it out by pressing the right buttons. "But how am I suppose to use this thing?"

Texas took a step closer to her. One of her fingers traced down the dial of the rectangular device as she spoke in a low tone. "I'll show you. Just keep quiet while I do, okay?"