Not Confrontation

Lappland had been relieved to finally be dismissed from the Trading Post for the day. Working in the Training room several floors down was ridiculously entertaining, but packaging boxes just wasn't her forte. It didn't help that her partner for the session spent a majority of the time cowering away from her. She appreciated people acknowledging her prowess usually, but during work it served to only continue to annoy her.

The Dormitory held a wave of cold air blasting her the second the door whooshed open. Lappland let out a sigh, taking in the cold gust. If she closed her eyes she could almost imagine being back in the forest. The pine needles would be falling now, pine cones striking the heads of unfortunate passerby. When Lappland was just a pup she'd been hit twice. After her parents taught her their skills the cones did not land on her again. She was much too quick for them.

So she had the reflexes, but not even those could keep her from being caught off guard. Her gray eyes fluttered open to take in the scene before her. There were three operators in the room. Each of them had a strange mousepad logo on their clothing, with words jotted underneath she could not make out. The short woman with horns had her back turned to her. The angel woman was leaning over slightly, talking animatedly with the third occupant of the room. It was the third occupant who grabbed her attention. She did so without even meaning to.

Sitting on the couch was Texas.

Their eyes locked, gray staring into amber-blue. Texas paled before looking away. Lappland felt her heart clenching, like she was struck in the chest with an iron fist. Their last meeting had left her with mixed emotions. The other Lupus held a power over her she probably didn't even realize. There had been nights in the forest when the only thing she could think about was Texas. Whenever she felt the infection burgeoning her veins, Texas would pop into her mind, a welcome guest in the sanctuary of her brain. She practically owned the place considering how often she appeared.

But this Texas did not act like she was in charge. The stiff posture she had said as much. What happened since we last saw each other? She acts so different.

"Texas! Didn't think I'd be seeing you here. These must be your buddies."

She gestured to the other two women. Both of them were eyeing her carefully, examining her like she was a flashy poster on a billboard. One seemed simply curious, the other taking a step in front of Texas, shielding her from Lappland's view. It still didn't stop the sight of Texas averting her gaze from entering her vision. The ears that used to perk up at the sight of her were pressed against her skull.

"We are. And who are you?" The redhead asked. "How do you know the Boss?"

The pink haired angel frowned, considering. "You must be Lapland. I've heard about you."

"Oh. I'm flattered to hear Texas spoke of me. We go a long way back."

Lappland took a step forward. Her swords were strapped to her back, metal a promising cold against the uncovered skin of her neck. She doubted it would be used here, but it was nice to have with her. There was nowhere she went without her weapons. The two swords had been a gift from someone very important to her. From her experience, the only way to keep from losing what was important to you was to keep it with you at all times. I didn't keep her with me and look how that's turned out. Their relationship was hard to figure out. There were so many walls around Texas, a frigid iciness fiercer than anything she'd seen from the dark haired Lupus before.

"Believe me, it wasn't kind words." The angel woman was frowning. Some of her pink hair hung over one eye, obscuring it from view.

Lappland wasn't shocked. "No. I wouldn't suppose it would be." They weren't on good terms when they split up. It's my fault. What I did . . . There was a reason why Texas wouldn't look at her. Maybe it had been foolish to hope she would've gotten over what happened.

"Are you here for a reason? Or is it just to bother me," Texas said.

The rigidity was heavy in her voice, the words barely coming out of the tension within. The two other occupants of the room eyed Texas worriedly. How much do they know? Did she tell them everything? Lapland was uncertain how to proceed. Usually she wouldn't think things through, just do and accept the consequences at a later time. Texas made her think, had always made the cogs in her brain spin. Why can't this be easier?

"I'm here to relax. Just got done with my shift. Would've preferred a co-worker who wasn't so frightened of me but eh," She shrugged. "what can you do?"

"Hmm," Was all Texas said in response, like she was thinking about something. Lapland knew the expression in those amber eyes. Texas could be hard to figure out, her anti-social attitude off putting to some. But once you get to know her, those eyes . . . They're the key.

"Remember how we worked together back in the day. We got so much done together." Picturing them when they were younger brought a smile to her lips. Texas just continued to frown.

"How long have you two known each other exactly?" The red-haired one asked. "Boss hardly talks about her past."

"Oh, doesn't she now? Texas, aren't they your friends?" She teased out of habit.

The frown on the other Lupus's face deepened. "Why should she have to share if she doesn't want to?" The angel cut in. There was anger on her face as clear as day, the halo over her head flickered with its white-gold band of light.

"Exusiai, it's okay," Texas said quietly. "There's nothing she can do to make me talk of I don't want to."

"Are you sure? She looks a lot like how you described."

How did she describe me? The question was at the tip of her tongue, but she kept it in. Lappland had a good feeling how Texas might've described her to someone. A monster. Crazy, psychotic. Words she last used. Some of them were spot on accurate. Others, she didn't feel the same about.

"Boss. We can go somewhere else if you'd like?"

"Croissant . . . Yes. I think that would be good." Texas nodded. She rose from her seat without making a sound before turning to walk out. Lapland felt a rise of aggravation. She's leaving again . . .

The three Penguin Logistics operators were almost at the door when she spoke again. "Why don't you stick around for awhile? We should do some catching up."

Texas gave her a bitter smile, looking over her shoulder to meet Lapland's gaze. The bronze-gold swords she always used were strapped at her weapons belt. Come to think of it, I only see one. What happened to the other? Did she forget to wear it?

"Catching up about what? I moved on. And so should you."

The sliding doors closed with a click, effectively cutting Texas off from her view.