Days of Forgotten Past 9

A/N: So the plot thickens in this chapter, and there is a mention of death, but it's super brief. Let me know what y'all think! Btw, I know this chapter is super long. Once this story hits 7k views, I'll have a surprise for everyone so stay tuned.

*********

"Ridding the Texas Pack Land of the infected is the only way we can guarantee our safety!" Lappland yelled.

"But what if you're wrong?" Texas snapped back. The two young wolves were out on the back porch. The setting sun painted their features, the horizon burning a brilliant crimson. She might have appreciated it, if not for the way it tinged Lappland's silver eyes with a haunting red.

"I'm not wrong!" Lappland recoiled. Her ears were erect, eyebrows narrowed.

"You're not even considering the possibility!" Texas argued.

"Why should I when I know I'm right?!"

"Lappland." She warned.

The world seemed to still around them; the footsteps coming from behind the walls as dinner was being cooked had stopped. Someone —Gran, because Houston almost never cooked— was listening in on their conversation. Private matter should not have eavesdroppers, isnt that what you would say Gran? You're being a hypocrite.

"What alpha? Are you ready to think about what's best for the pack?"

Hypocrite or not, Texas was unable to focus on the senior Texas. Not when Lappland was in front of her and acting so delusional. In the past months Texas felt as though she had been watching her girlfriend slip into mania. The crying and despair had given out to a lust for battle. Lappland was not the same person she used to know. Not anymore.

The tests prove as much.

Acute Oripathy. That's what the doctors had called it. Her parents had died from it. She couldn't bear the idea of her girlfriend dying from it too. Lappland promised her she wouldn't; promised to stay. There was a chance her infection rate would go down, that Lappland would get better enough to live for decades more instead of a year at most.

There was a chance, no matter how slim.

Infection is furthered in many ways. Lappland's has to deal with her mental capacity. By giving into what she wants it might stem her worsening state . . . or bring it to the path of no return. I have to make a decision.

She did not want to make a decision. Had been avoiding it even on the sleepless nights. Right now she could really use a cigarette, but the dull reminder how she had given those up a few weeks back, for a Lappland who had still been arguably sane, did not escape her. Texas was going to suffer, was going to do whatever it took to make things right. Someday we'll be okay again. I just have to make the right choice.

But how could she make it, if she refused to accept what it was?

So, fate would just have to force her hand.

****

"We're just taking a quick sweep of the area. Everyone stay in formation." She barked out the orders.

"Yes Alpha." Was the immediate response she got from her pack mates. Even Lappland had been attentive towards her commanding tone. Lately it had proven one of the only ways to get the white wolf to behave, and on a greater extent, to submit.

Something that was continuing to prove more difficult.

They crept in a silent huddle to the abandoned warehouse. The heavy stench of oil and burnt rubber clung to air, burning her eyes. Unruly weeds poked out from the metal structure. A crack ran down the left side of the foundation, splintering off like a ebbing river distributing its water into several smaller streams. She doubted the place was structurally sound. But beggars can't be choosers, and the Infected don't have anywhere else to go. Not these criminals, nor the innocent. Texas might have felt sorrow, even pity, if she wasn't already so troubled. The world had cruelty wrapped around its livelihood. No one escaped from suffering, not even the short-lived. Especially not the short-lived infected. Her mind went to a dark place in that moment as she was reminded one of these said people was her girlfriend. Texas shuddered.