Mission Reprieve

"Penguin Logistics is going on vacation!"

Texas let Exusiai handle most of the good byes to the Doctor and Amiya before they headed out the door. They would be leaving only for a day, but she had to admit it was still better than nothing. Croissant had their bags packed for their trip when they arrived back at the dorms. Her own bag —an army styled marsh green— was slung over her shoulder. Texas's blue backpack and Exusiai's small suitcase with the locks on the top were sitting at her feet.

"Ready to go boss? I've got us all packed up," Croissant said.

"Yes. Unless either of you need to grab something we should be ready."

Exusiai was grinning the way she normally did, hair falling over one eye in floppy strands. "Did you pack any apple pie?"

Croissant grinned in return. The red headed operator pulled out something behind her back. It was a circular container with two latches on either side. "Hehe, of course I grabbed some."

"Yay! Then we're ready." Exusiai swiped the pie with glee before walking off. Croissant ran after her, complaining about getting a slice. Texas rolled her eyes at the pair. She slung her own bag over her shoulders, her left hand reaching out to grab Exusiai's. Carrying the two sets of luggage was a norm for them.

"Hmm. Now it's off to the beach. Sora should be waiting for us there."

****

"Guys! There you are!"

Texas, Croissant and Exusiai had only just arrived at the beach when Sora came running over towards them. The sun was a high beacon in the sky, casting a halo of light down on the famous pop star singer. Sora has her illusion wolf ears in place with a long gold tail streaking behind her like the tail of a kite. She crossed the hot sand in three long bounds and then was wrapping her arms around them in a hug. Texas wriggled in the embrace, but ultimately accepted the tight squeezing around her midsection.

"Ouch! You're squishing me." Croissant complained.

"Sora, how was your concert?" She asked when the singer reluctantly let go. Like them, she was dressed in a bikini, the hot pink color matched the dress Sora often wore during missions.

Sora was beaming. "It was amazing! I did this one slow song and everyone put their phones in the air and sang along. Oh, you would've loved to be there."

Texas pictured herself in a packed in stadium, people pushing into her on all sides. Sometimes I think she forgets I hate crowds. There was a reason why she enjoyed using crowd control. "I don't know about that. I'll have to take your word for it I suppose."

"Fair enough."

"I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna get in the water. Those waves are looking wicked!" Croissant nudged Exusiai in the ribs with her surfboard. "Last one there is a rotten egg!" She ran off, kicking up sand in her wake.

Exusiai sputtered before chasing after her. "I'll make you eat those words!"

Texas watched the pair fondly. She had a feeling Croissant would get to the water first. But Exia will tackle her in, so I suppose that makes the difference. She was brought out of her thoughts by a tugging on her arm. Sora was smiling at her with an even wider grin, like she was beyond pleased they were left alone. Texas could still remember the first day they had met, back when she saved Sora from a vicious band of kidnappers. Ever since then, the other woman seemed to hold a special reverence just for her. Texas didn't think she deserved it. There was a lot of things she had that should not belong to her, in her humble opinion.

"Come on Texas, lets go over to tent. I got everything set up."

"Okay." She spared Exusiai and Croissant a glance. Just as she envisioned, the angel had tackled the other woman to the ground. They were splashing around in the shallows, water dripping from locks of strawberry blonde hair. "Lead the way."