Days of Forgotten Past 3

"Haha! Keep up Lappland or we'll be late!"

"Coming! Coming! Sheesh, just let me grab my coat!"

It had been two years since Lappland had come to live in the Texas household, and Texas's parents were still none the wiser. The two Lupus girls were dressed up in thick coats and fluffy pants, perfect for the freezing weather. Winter was coming full force. The leaves fell off the trees into shriveled piles. The garden out front was in a state of frigid decay as she breathed in the crisp morning air. Like usual, her parents were out at another boring business meeting. Being on a break from school work now was the perfect time for her and Lappland to have some fun.

"Well what are you standing around for? Let's get going." Lappland swung an arm around her back, tugging her forward as they traveled down the steps. The servants tossed salt on them earlier this morning, ridding them of the slick quality the ice provided.

"I was waiting for you duh," Texas said.

The two continued their chattering as they made their way into town. Without a disguise all eyes would have been on her and Lappland as they journeyed out of the rich neighborhood. The hoods over their faces solved this problem with ease.

"So, did you finally get the family sword?" Lappland asked.

Texas knew exactly which blade her friend was talking about. The Texas family was known for wielding a particular weapon. It was a golden bronze color, like a hot flame pulled right out of forge. Arts energy flowed through the dual swords. All Texas family members had them —if they were worthy of them that is. Her Gran had a set, as did her Aunt. The same could not be said for Uncle Ontario, but he was always the black sheep of the family. Not born in Columbia, not named a Texas name, wrong fur color, diagnosed with Oripathy. Indeed, there were several reasons why her Father's older brother was never meant to be Alpha.

"Nah, not yet. Dad says I'm not ready for it yet."

"Oh, if you want I could help with that?"

Texas chuckled. "I don't know if we'd get any work done if we practice together." The last time they tried resulted in a tickle fight. She would be lying if she said she had won.

Lappland must've also remembered their little squabble, if her easygoing grin was anything to go by. "Yeah, but we'll be serious this time. Last time you just picked up the blade. Can't be too serious on your first time of anything my Papa used to say."

The white wolf stretched her arms above her head. Lappland was still pale, but not the sickly kind she was back when Texas first found her. Two years of fine dining did that to you. There was a time when Texas imagined Lappland going on her way once she recovered. There was so much danger in the Wild Wolf living in the Texas household, a fear of what would happen if her parents found Lappland. This fear dissipated at some point however, probably because of how integral her friend had become to her lifestyle. Staying together seemed to be the best choice for now anyways, especially now that she knew the truth about Lappland. There was no pack for her to return to in Siracusa.

"Heh. Does this apply to everything or just fighting?"

They were approaching the bazaar now. The winter shops lined the streets with their festive decorations. Holly was strewn on the nets overhead, little red berries of mistletoe hanging down with them. Couples were kissing underneath a few. Texas resisted the urge to gag at the sight of a particularly vulgar French kiss going on between two blonde Lupos. Red and green was consistent on the tents as they came ever closer, rigid poles dug into the ground to keep the set up structures from flying away.

"It was hard to tell with him. I guess he meant everything. He did do the little smug eyebrow thing you say I do whenever I'm doing an innuendo," Lappland gave said smug eyebrow wiggle t her. Texas stifled a giggle by pressing a hand over her mouth. The slap was cold, but she hardly felt it with her own face becoming numb from the chill. Her friend grinned even wider as they entered the bazaar.