Past is Past - P. Parker (AU)

Pairing: Peter x Reader, Harry Osborn x Reader
2.5k words
Warning/s: character death, confusion, a satisfied ending

Big thanks to my friend croissant__ for the help!

* * * *

"She's not getting any better, Mr. Parker. I'm afraid she'll be going soon." The doctor told Peter with no expression on their face. The doctor kept their face neutral, so that it wouldn't be an issue for anyone. It was also protocol at the hospital.

The doctor excused themselves and left Peter standing alone in the cold hallway outside of his wife's room. Peter couldn't believe that he would lose the person he truly loved; he would lose her to cancer. 'Fuck cancer.' He thought. He wanted his wife to live long; to see their children grow up to be the people they're meant to be. Alas, it was just wishful thinking.

You see, Peter was immortal. In a world where 2% of the population are born immortal, he was one of them. It could be anyone, really. One's parents don't have to be immortal for one to be immortal. They were just cursed that way. Being born immortal was God's cruel way of letting people stay on Earth to be His stewards of creation for eternity. Whether they like it or not, if they were born immortal, they are immediately tied up and forced into the duty of being God's steward.

The duty of being God's steward felt wrong. It feels wrong to watch mortals move on with their lives while some get stuck, getting caught by the sorrow of this immortality that has been given upon them.

Peter had the saddest eyes for a long time, but it all changed when he met the love of his life. Peter has seen things; someone's last breath, some more heart breaking scenarios, etc. But everything changed when she came into his life. She appeared as someone new... and well, unexpected. She was a great surprise, though. She gave Peter a brand new purpose, she gave him happiness. Every time Peter was with her, he would forget about his curse.

Peter's eyes held sadness again and it broke his heart to know that he couldn't do anything to save her; his one true love. His heart broke at the harsh reality that no matter what happens, he'll eternally stay on Earth while he watches his loved ones pass on.

Gathering up his courage, Peter took a deep breath before entering her hospital room. He quietly entered her room and slowly shut the door behind him. He observed the sight in front of him: his wife slept peacefully with their youngest son next to her on the bed while their two older children were asleep on the couch.

He silently approached the bed and held his wife's hand as he sat on the chair that was next to her bed. He brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. This caused her to stir awake and look at him with a small smile adoring her face.

"Peter." She breathed.

"Hey there." Peter said softly as tears clouded his vision. It pained him to see her like that; weak and fragile and ill. If only there was a cure for her cancer, he would've given it to her in a heartbeat.

"I love you, Peter. So much." She whispered.

"I love you more than everything else." Peter said as tears freely streamed down his rosy cheeks.

"Please remember that my love for you is eternal. I'll look for you in the next life just so I can love you the way I love you now. I promise you that, Peter." She smiled softly. Peter could only nod, not trusting his voice to speak.

That was their last moment together. She died in her sleep, her youngest cuddling up to her as Peter held her hand.

The moment life left her body, God took it and gave it to the baby girl of the woman giving birth at the same hospital on a different floor.