Chapter 37

Zain's POV

"So what colour do you think should be in here?" Gary asks me as I sat across him in my office.

"I would say white with that wall really light grey." I say. "Its reflects from the sunlight the nicest."

"Nice." He says nodding. "Can we get started on the second floor?"

"Yeah. The house is up for viewing next week. I need to fresh paint smell out and home cookies in the over smell in." I say as he chuckles. "Right. I think thats all I wanted to go over with you. The apartments. They are done this week. People have already started to move into the floors that are done."

"Great." I say and he nods leaving.

I sigh sitting back and look out the window of my office. It was a glass wall and had a great view. Everything just seemed somber now without Mia. I felt like the biggest fuck up in life and I was pissed at myself mostly.

The show must go on I guess.

"Hello..." My mom says walking into my office.

"You are not wearing nike sweats and hoodie right now." She sayd and I roll my eyes looking down at the grey track suit.

"Who cares- I am the boss here? Besides- I have one assistant and one accountant here. Who is there to impress?"

"Your assistant is so fucking hot." Kai says walking in and I roll my eyes.

"Zain. She looks about 21 and has a skirt shorter than ever." My frowns and I sigh. "I did not hire her? Omar did for me?"

"This looks so good. Look at the views!" Kai says staring outside the glass window. We were on the 34th floor.

"I'm so proud of you." My mom says and I chuckle. "Thanks mom." I say sitting down.

"We brought you a burger. We already ate." Kai says throwing it at me as I catch it. "Mom came with me to my appointment for my hand."

"Oh. Still broken?"

"Yep." He says

"How are you anyway?" My mom asks me. "You live in my house but I never see you. You working a lot since the whole incident."

"Well- better than just doing nothing." I say and my mom just stares at me worried.

"I know you're struggling with the break up. Everything that happened was crazy."

"I'm fine. It did not work out. Whatever." I say and she just stares at me.

"Ive never seen you so sad and down Zain." She says

"Yeah dude. Honestly. You got over Eva in 48 hours. Its now been three weeks."

"Well maybe this is just my new personality."

"You skipped thanksgiving dinner few days go." My mom says and I shrug. "Had plans with Yomi."

"Really?" She asks and I nod.

"Mom- maybe I just don't wanna see everyone's pity faces or everyones he fucked up? Or maybe I just dont wanna see Mia or the Henrys?"

"You knew when you started dating her that this would be a risk. The Henrys are our family and we been together every holiday since forever?"

"Not in Seattle." I say and she sighs.

"I just want you to be okay..." She says as I eat my burger.

"Mom. I'm fine. I promise." I say and she nods.

"We planned a week trip for New Years to Cali. Were going to LA."