Danger on the Horizon

Start from the beginning

But . . .

This couldn't be all Kal'tsit was calling for.

As if sensing his concerns, Kal'tsit spoke again. Her tone gained a serious depth that made him stop swaying in the comfy chair. "There's something else we need to talk about."

"Hah. Why did I know you would say that?"

"You're perceptive, like me."

"Hmm. I wasn't looking for an answer, but I'll take it. Tell me what's going on."

"Okay."

*****

Back to present . . .

Sora had kept quiet since they'd arrived in the Emperor's office that morning. Croissant could only imagine what had went down last night as they waited for Boss to arrive. Judging by Texas's terse attitude the confession had went horribly wrong. But what exactly did you expect would happen? I could've told her from day one it was a wasted effort. And that was when she rounded back to the truth she'd always known: she didn't want to tell Sora the truth. She didn't want to crush her friend's dreams, regardless of how much of a fool's errand they be.

But keeping quiet about it had been a task she almost failed on.

She initially thought it a good thing to not have failed, but now . . .

"Sora, are you okay?" She found herself asking.

Sora shifted in her seat on the couch. Their shoulders brushed. Her friend was awfully cold today, but that might have just been from the air conditioning blasting on high. Sora's outfit did little to shield her from the cold. Probably why she gets sick so much this time of year. Wonder if she'd consider a wardrobe change. Regardless, it wasn't the time to talk about it now.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Texas seemed pretty upset yesterday." Upset might have been an understatement. Texas only acted as tense around Lappland up until yesterday, so seeing that same anger being directed towards Sora was the last thing she wanted.

Surely a crush wouldn't make someone that upset?

Except apparently it had for Texas, because she had been angry. Very, very angry.

"I know she was. I was there, remember?" The brittleness to Sora's tone was hardly surprising. Croissant felt a pinch in her heart with the emotion directed at her. This wasn't right. She had done nothing but be concerned. But what if that's the problem?

"Sora, what happened last night? Please tell me."

The idol sighed, her head falling, chin resting on her chest. "Nothing good. As I'm sure you've pieced together, I confessed when we were fighting. That was why Texas was so mad at me, not because of my feelings."

Her eyes widened. "Oh. I see. I—" I'm surprised.

"I know. You probably thought she'd be angry about the confession too, but no. Just the timing."

"Well I guess there are worse things then." Croissant tried lightening the mood. She hated to see her friends fight. Nothing good would come of it. But not all arguments were simple to solve. The tension this secret had been building for the past several years was certainly not easy to dissuade.

"Hah. Yours and my definitions of worse are two different things. I, I wanted her to return my feelings so badly Croissant. Texas, I've liked her for the longest time." Sora murmured.

Croissant nodded. "I know you have, I do. But when Texas makes her mind up on something you know there's no changing it." She rubbed Sora's back sympathetically, scrubbing harder on the knots of stress she found till they melted away.