Chapter 22: Excuse Me, What?

I had started choir and was given a spot with the lead singers. I put all my efforts into that and studies and Boxing. Since everyone was ignoring me I had nothing else to do. My depression was relapsing and I was always exhausted due to lack of sleep. But I didn't let that affect my performance. I kept up the good work and I now had my first Boxing match tomorrow. I was extremely anxious. I also had a singing competition later in the same day. I hadn't told anyone about the competition thing except Victor and when he had offered to come to it with my brothers, I declined politely making an excuse.

I went to sleep today so that I had enough energy to fight tomorrow and do the singing competition. We had entered in two categories. Group Singing and Solo Singing. I was chosen as the soloist and I had chosen the song 'Girl on Fire' by Alicia Keys for my solo. And it required a lot of energy. I woke up early in the morning and changed and I was out of the door before anybody else was even awake. I had grabbed my cup of coffee and put in enough sugar to keep me awake. I practically lived on coffee and sugar these days. Nathan and the guys had been picking me up since that day and they were already waiting for me. I had told Victor that I had the competition early in the morning and I had to go. He had agreed after making me promise I'll be careful.

Nathan was chattering cheerfully the whole way. Jason and Drake were asleep in the back while I sat in a tense silence, my stomach a pit of nerves. Before I got out of the car, Nathan gave me a hug and kissed my forehead and whispered a soft, "Good Luck." before going to wake up the others. Nathan had become my best friend, more like a brother in the last few days. He was always there for me and forced me to eat during lunch. He was worried that something would happen to me because of my weak state but I had brushed off his concern. I had invited him and the boys to both of my competitions today and they had enthusiastically agreed. Though I liked Jason and Drake and they were good friends too, Nathan was always my favourite.

We went to the venue of the Boxing championship in a school bus along with all the other contenders. I was going over all the moves and all the corrections coach had made in my fighting style. We were there in a few minutes and we went inside. I wore a tank top and shorts and went out. My match was third and if I won that one, I would go to the next level. To win I had to win all my matches.

I soon won 4 matches and was in the finals against another girl who was built like a gorilla. She rushed towards me and I dodged. We kept doing this and we both were getting tired but she was more tired than me. Then I noticed the slight stiff way in which she held her left shoulder. My lips curled in a smile. Bingo!

I lunged forward suddenly and my fist connected with her shoulder. She staggered back and I took the opportunity to hit her hard and fast. She could barely defend herself. She soon tapped out when she was seconds from falling to the floor in exhaustion and pain. I walked off and was engulfed in a hug by Nathan. I laughed and hugged him back.

We got to the prize ceremony and my stomach lurched when I saw that En-Lorenzo had won in the boys category.

"Give it up for the girls' Boxing Champion for the state of California, Isabella Cattaneo." The compere shouted. I went to the front, grinning as I accepted the trophy and the prize money. I was exhausted but I had to get to another competition. Hence, after hugging all my teammates except Lorenzo, who I didn't even look at, I went with the guys to the venue of the singing competition. We entered and the choir teacher smiled at me and told me to get changed. I handed my trophy and prize money to Nathan and walked backstage.

The dress I had chosen was gorgeous. I had bought it from a local designer and it was absolutely stunning.

 I had bought it from a local designer and it was absolutely stunning

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I walked out and everyone gasped at the dress. I gave them a small smile. I was going to be the last person to perform. I walked onto stage and there was a burst of whispers. The opening melody started and I lost myself in the music. I forgot the fact that there were about 5000 people here. I forgot that the event was being broadcasted live on tv. I forgot everything. The anger and sadness of the last week. I let go of all the emotions and poured it into the song. The sound was pure and full of emotion. I sang my heart out, curtsied and walked off the stage. Everyone congratulated me. They told me how I was going to win but I knew that at most I'd come second. The other soloists were amazing and some were better than me.

"The winners for the solo singing competition are:"

"Maya Stevens. Third Place."

"Samuel Giovanni. Second Place"

My heart sank. There was no way I had placed first.

"And the winner of the competition is: Isabella Cattaneo." My world froze. I...won. Tears sprung up as I was pushed onto the stage by everyone. I accepted the trophy and prize money with trembling hands. Our school had come second in the choir category. I ran off stage and into Nathan's arms. He hugged me back as I whispered incredulously.

"I won. I won."

"I knew you would. I told you that before you went onstage." He whispered back and I gave him a big grin. I hadn't smiled this much for some time now.

"Let's go for some ice-cream." Jason suggested and I smiled and nodded eagerly. I changed into a t-shirt and jeans and we went to get ice-cream. We laughed and talked and for those few hours I felt that everything was fine. Nate dropped me off after the celebratory ice-cream and I saw the quiet house up ahead. There was only one light in the house which was in the living room. I stuffed the trophies into my bags and my face fell into lines of misery.

I walked in and I found that it was Luca in the living room. He scowled when he saw me and paused the movie he was watching. He stalked up to me and I backed up.

"Where the hell were you? You are grounded. You should have been home hours ago. I was just about to call Victor. We told you no boyfriends and you go on dates with him without even telling us you are going to be late? What is wrong with you?" He growled and my mouth fell open. Excuse me, dude what?

"Maybe you should have called Victor. He knew I was going to be home late. I don't answer to you especially after you ignored me for days. I didn't even know what I did. You all just suddenly stopped talking to me." I screamed before shoving roughly past him and heading up the stairs. At the top of the stairs I saw Roman and Alex looking at me furiously. They tried to stop me but I shoved past them and went into my room. I got the first aid kit from the bathroom as they came in.

They started to speak when I got up and put my hand up.

"I don't have time for this right now. Just get out of my room." I said firmly. and then pushed them out when they were frozen with disbelief. I slammed the door in their face before shrugging off the hoodie Nate had given to me after the competitions because I started shivering from the cold. I dressed all the wounds on my body so that they didn't get infected and then crawled into the covers. Exhaustion taking over my body.

I barely slept for 4 hours before I woke up because of a nightmare. I went to the kitchen and got  some cereal because I was hungry. It was 4:00 and no one was awake. I thought about how my own brothers didn't know about my participation and winning. I felt like crying but I didn't want to cry over them again. Suddenly the front door opened and there were voices from the hall. I recognised Victor's voice and I stayed put in the kitchen. The voices came closer and Victor entered the kitchen. He saw me and frowned. I waved and went back to the cereal, not bothering to look at the other person.

"Wow, I'm gone for a few days and you're eating cereal at 3 a.m." said a voice from the door. A very familiar voice.

Comment, Vote and Share the story if you liked it?