Chapter 11: Music is Personal to Me

Mulai dari awal

"She loved me and did everything for me. But she always wanted me to be someone I was not and that pissed me off. She wanted me to be everything I wasn't. I hated it. the thing is that in Indian culture, getting hit by parents is normal. If you say your parents never hit you then you are special. I sadly was not special and I got hit. That was the nightmare. I blamed, still blame myself for everything that she told me. I was wrong. But things went downhill a couple of months ago. I snapped and told her so many hurtful things that I regretted as soon as I said them. She was shocked and after that our relationship never recovered. I sank into my studies and she sank into her art. We were civil but that was it. We didn't talk unless we had to. And I regret that. I regret that before she died all we exchanged was a polite 'goodbye'. I hate myself for that." I finished not looking into his eyes. I expected him to be angry. Who hurts their own parents that way? I just fiddled with Alex's hoodie keeping my gaze down.

"It's okay, neonata. You couldn't have known. You are still just a child. Don't feel bad about it. I'm sure your mother forgave you. You are her child." Victor says reassuringly, his face uncharacteristically soft. I gave him a soft smile and he stood up offering a hand to me. I took it and he pulled me up. He then pushed me towards the door, "Get ready, sorella, you have to attend school today."

I happily skipped out of the room and went to mine. I hopped in the shower and got out my outfit for the day. As I was getting more comfortable around them, my outfit choice changed and I was reverting back to my actual style.

 As I was getting more comfortable around them, my outfit choice changed and I was reverting back to my actual style

I gave a look of disgust at the unopened packets of makeup. It was a hassle and I was not in the mood. I just put on eyeliner that went with the outfit and made my brown eyes pop. I had gotten the hand brace removed when I was being discharged and it hardly hurt anymore. I grabbed my bag and put on black heeled leather boots. They were my favourite pair of shoes and after pulling them on, I went downstairs.

"Nope! No, you are not wearing that." Was all I heard before I was airborne.

"What the hell!" I exclaimed.

"Language, tesoro. Xander, let her down." Victor said sternly.

I was put down and I stuck my tongue out at Alex who scowled.

"You're not going to let her go out wearing that are you?" He said turning to Elijah and Victor who were sitting at the island.

"Oh, for god's sake, it's not inappropriate!" I said exasperatedly.

If you lift your arms we can see your stomach," growls Luca.

"Not you too. Quick bring me my wand so I can pull you out from under his spell." I said, letting my childish side show for the first time.

"It's not inappropriate, Xander. She can wear it." Victor said finally.

I squeal and hug Victor in excitement. He chuckles as he hugs me back.

"Now go to school. You don't want to be late."

I hug Lijah too and we made our way to the garage. We went to the corner of the garage and I spotted a beauty.

"Oh my god, am I dreaming? Is that a Bugatti Veyron?" I said practically hyperventilating.

"Yes, it is, amore." Roman chuckles as they take in my 'kid on Christmas morning' expression. We head to the car and Roman and I get in while Luca and Alex choose their bikes.

We enter the school like badasses and made a movie-like entry. I separated from my brothers and headed to the front office.

"Excuse me, miss, could you help me?" I say to the receptionist.

"M-Miss Cattaneo, how may I help you?" she said as soon as she looked up.

"I have already learnt everything in my AP Biology class. I was wondering if I could switch it out for something else?" I asked politely.

"You have to give an exam based on the course work and if you pass it with exceptional marks then you can drop it and take up another subject." She recites as though it is rote learned. I nod and she types something into her computer.

"You can take the test today or tomorrow, if you want to?" She said giving me a small smile.

"Today will be fine." I say and with a polite thank you I'm on my way to AP Biology.

"So you think you will be able to answer the paper easily and drop this class, do you?" Mr. Marsh says as I enter and I roll my eyes at him. I'm usually a teacher's pet but this man got on my nerves. I just shrugged and he handed me my test and turned the timer on his desk. I glanced down at the paper and raised an eyebrow. This was much easier than I had expected and I started solving it. I was done a half hour before the timer ran out. I got up and handed in my paper and walked out.

The hallway was deserted as it was the middle of the second period so I started wandering and ended up in front of the music room. I hadn't sung since the day my mum died and now I was tempted to. I walked into the room and stood in the middle of the room. I didn't know how to play any instrument but I loved to sing. I had tried learning a few instruments but I didn't have time to learn it properly. I took a deep breath and started singing one of my favourite songs.

(Play the song now. I absolutely love it)

I didn't have as deep a voice as the original singer but my voice was deeper than most girls and I could hit the right notes easily. I sang with my heart every word resounding in my head. Every word that I could relate to. 

I sang until the song ended. I heard a 'wow' and I spun around, stumbling slightly. The door was open and a few people stood there, some recording my singing. In the front stood Jordan, his mouth open. I felt myself go red with embarrassment as my eyes widened. The bell must have rung while I was singing and I hadn't heard it. I pushed through the stunned students and escaped. Or so I thought.

A hand caught my wrist. I spun around and because of my heels I stumbled a little. An arm wrapped around my waist, steadying me. I looked up at Jordan and my cheeks reddened further. He chuckled at my blush, a low sexy sound and I was like damn, boy. He let me go and I stood a little away from him in case someone decided to snitch to my brothers.

"Sorry for startling you. Your voice is amazing. Are you going to choose your elective as music?" He said rubbing his neck nervously. I guess that when I stood a bit further away from him, he thought that I didn't want to talk to him or I didn't like him.

"No, Music is personal to me and also I can't play any instruments and that is a pre-requisite." I said with a smile.

He gave me a big smile and I saw that he had a dimple on his right cheek. I had a weird feeling in my stomach. I had never had a crush and this feeling was new.

"Let me walk you to class. I have the same class anyway." He said with a dazzling smile and I swear my heart stopped. I barely managed to nod. Fuck my hormones.

"Why don't join us for lunch? I would love to introduce to my friends. Also, we don't sit in the cafeteria and instead sit in front of school under the small cluster of trees." He asked me with hope in his eyes.

"Okay.."