8/4/2020

1 Samuel 17:34-37

But David said to Saul, "There were times when I was taking care of my father's sheep that wild animals came to take some sheep from the flock. Once there was a lion and another time, a bear. I chased that wild animal, attacked it, and took the sheep from its mouth. The wild animal jumped on me, but I caught it by the fur under its mouth. And I hit it and killed it. I killed both a lion and a bear like that! And I will kill that foreigner, Goliath, just like them. Goliath will die because he made fun of the army of the Living God. The Lord saved me from the lion and the bear. He will also save me from this Philistine."

Saul said to David, "Go and may the Lord be with you."

1 Samuel 17:40
He took his walking stick in his hand and went to find five smooth stones from the stream. He put the five stones in his shepherd's bag and held his sling in his hand. Then he went out to meet the Philistine.

-> Small Straws in a Soft Wind 8/4/2020

What stands out to me is that David was used to taking down bigger creatures than himself. Goliath looked to be something new but David refused to be discouraged. He knew that God got him through worse before. David's past struggle, God got him through and trained him with. Goliath was just a set up for David to walk in his purpose. God uses struggles as an open door.

If David haven't fought Goliath - He would never have become king. He would have never left the sheep. He would have missed his purpose.

What more, to defeat Goliath, David didn't use Saul's armor. He used what he knew: stones and a sling. If it were me, I would want at least Saul's sword. Something sharp and makes me feel protected. But's its perfect, actually, that David didn't think like a normal person.

What I get from this snippet of time is that God's training me. What I went through in the past will come back but in a different form. Each season has its battles and they look different but they are all the same. I battle with personal attacks or chains that visited my parents and grandparents. I get tempted and my cringe-ness pops up out of nowhere. It's a Goliath in my own life and sometimes it does feel like it has the upper say - it spend day and night trying to discourage me, beat me down until I'm a pile of mush.

However, God got me through those things before. God brought me through shame, suicide, unhealthy mental patterns; sexual sin; condemnation; slip ups; fear (biggest struggle) and the need to be perfect. God saved me and brought me through it all...especially those times I questioned my faith and felt so alone. The time nobody believed me and others (lots) laughed at me for my faith.

God got me through the fear of being accused. Another big struggle in my life. A new struggle is on its way but this time, I can't give into fear. God brought me through so much and even this, He will give me victory over. I need to trust Him like David trusted Him and use what I know.

Jesus said that if I use what I know now, I will be trusted with me. More will be given to the ones who practice what they have now. Like David, what I have seems small too but they are deadly.

Watch out.