3/19/2020

Some thoughts on acts 5:12-16
I have a question. Why don't we do miracles like the disciples did before in the times of the apostles? It seems that back then, God's hand was easily seen moving. In this part, it mentions some of the miracles God did through His people like healing people from sickness and casting out demons from possessed people. The church was even more close than I think we Christians are today. Lately I think that's the question that's been bothering me. What happened to us? Why don't we pray bold and crazy sounding prayers?

Even in the old testament, some of the believers prayed such bold stuff – asking God to make the sun stand still in order to finish a battle; Elijah called down fire from heaven to prove God is the on truth God! Hannah prayed for a son of her own. It seems people's belief was stronger back then and they dares asked for the uncommon.

Maybe we American Christians are too desensitized to the boldness of the past church? We're used to getting our stuff at the drop of a hat, that we often lean more on ourselves, than we lean on God. Back then, the believers sought God for everything – they held tightly God's truth and their numbers grew and prospered.

The bible said that they never failed to meet up and that even though their numbers grew, nobody was ever in need. The church sold their properties in order to care for each and love each other. They were one in mind and heart.

I think a glimpse of this I saw in Estabon and Genesi's brother when I went with them evangelizing downtown. It tripped me out that they prayed for EVERYTHING. Something that, now that I think about it, I don't remember my family doing when we were in victory outreach and they would go to the streets to evangelize.

It convicted me and confused me because it showed me how weak my prayer life was. I'm just now learning to pray about everything and anything and bring it to God in heaven. I used to think praying about everything was a little crazy. Like when my mom would always tell me and my siblings to pray for parking space by her house or when we went to the store – I used to roll my eyes and think "really mom. Pray for parking space?" But now I actually think that mom was is very wise for that.

Prayer is the key – it's communication with God, our Father, and He wants communication with us. I once heard it said like this: Prayer unlocks the doors of heaven.

In order to receive, we need to ask. In order to find, we need to seek, and to open the door we need to knock.