Romans 12:6-8

6-8:
The beginning of Romans 12 explained how we are united in Christ. (1-5) That we are different people, races, ethnicity, coed (male and female) with all sorts of backgrounds. However, we are one Body – the body of Christ. We are the church and as such, we work together. It brings the main point of UNITY. In Christ, we are united an because of that, we need to live united, working with one another to build each other up with the many gifts, God blessed each of us with.

That is when we come to verse 6, chapter 12: We all were given different gifts, gifts that can help build the church up and encourage the other to go on in their faith. Paul mentions some of them like prophecy; service; teaching; comforting; giving; leadership; and kindness.

It just hit me that...those are practical gifts. They are gifts because not many people can do them – like I know I can't do prophecy. That's a gifting I don't have but I do have the gift of service and kindness. My grandmother has the gift of giving (I just know it!) because she'll give you the clothes on her back if she sees you need it.

I'm saying those are practical gifts because it's interesting how Paul chooses the gifts I think of as the least to teach us we can use them the most. Not sure if that makes sense but there's a ton of other more gifts like the gift of healing, exhortation, the gift of discernment (knowing) and plenty more but Paul chooses the ones we don't really see as gifts (except prophecy) as his examples. To be honest, that makes me happy because I often fall into the mindset that I have to be like my friends who their giftings are seen as giftings like evangelizing and praying (some of their prayers are great – like great great) and so I compare myself to them and then I feel like a loser because my giftings look small.

Really, kindness can change things and service are a big help for people in need. My gifts are different – seemingly more quiet, but they can make a different. My grandmother is proof of that. She was always kind to me, especially when I was young and foolish – hating everyone. I treated her badly and wouldn't even say sorry when she cried. I used to be so angry at her, thinking she only cared about my mother and was trying to use me to replace her. Yet, my grandmother prayed for me, ceaselessly, and she loved me no matter how many times I pushed her away from me. She even spoke life into my heart – always telling me I have a good heart.

Now look at me.

I gave my life to Christ. I'm saved and God changed me a lot and is still changing me, taking out weeds that need to be taken out. God used my grandmother's kindness and patience to touch me and love on me.

So whatever gifts you have, no matter how small it appears, may be the very gift God wants you to use to reach others and comfort your fellow siblings in Christ.

So lets use our gifts.

Father God,

Thank You for speaking to me and showing me that I shouldn't look down on what You gave me and I need to stop comparing myself to my friends whose gifts are different than mine. God, help me to use my gifts again. Father, show me how and how to do it cheerfully, truly cheerfully in my heart this time. Father, help me to be united with my brothers and sisters and to work hard for You and to build Your church. Give me the steps I can take today, Father, and thank You for opening my eyes and speaking what needs to be said. IN Jesus holy and blessed name, amen. Father, I pray for all my siblings in You. That we will be united in mind and Spirit. That our love will grow and become a loud anthem that all the world will hear and see. God, help those who, like me, compares themselves too much among the others. Change our mentality, God, and give us the strength to walk in Your Holy Spirit and truth. In Jesus name, amen.