January 16, 2020

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them intently and said, "Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God, everything is possible."

I always hear people quote this and its printed on stuff. What I didn't realize was that Jesus said this due to the topic of salvation. A rich man went to Jesus, asking Him how he could have eternal life. Jesus told him to follow the commandments. When the rich man said he already follows them, Jesus told him "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

However, the rich man couldn't bring himself to sell out. (???) He loved wealth too much on earth to get any in heaven so he left. This led Jesus to tell his disciples (us) that entering heaven if very hard for a rich person, than for a camel to enter the eye of a needle. (ouch! Poor camel!)

That's why we need Jesus.

What I noticed is that its almost like Jesus was testing the rich man. Because the man asked Jesus what he should do to go to heaven, he brought up the commandments but when the man couldn't become perfect, doesn't that mean the rest of commandments didn't matter? It brings to mind paul's words about the law. That even if someone follows the big laws, yet breaks a small, tiny law, then that mean they broke all the laws. Maybe God (Jesus) did that to the man to show us that its impossible for us to achieve perfection.

We can not work our way into heaven.

Jesus says its hard for rich people to get into heaven – to which people (like me) claim how poor we are, but, I'm rich. America is one of the richest countries there are. The disciples must have known this too people they started complaining to God, asking Him "then how can ANYONE be saved?"

Was all hope lost?
Not at all!

That is why Jesus tells us "humanly speaking it is impossible, but with God, everything IS possible."

Mind blown.
My mind got blown.

Father God, thank You for showing me this and making it clear that only You can save us Jesus, You are the only way to God the Father, our salvation. We can follow all the laws until our body breaks down but it is only by having a relationship with You, my Lord Jesus Christ, that I am saved. Thank You, In Jesus name, amen. Thank You that I finally get to get out of the house today!!! I'm so excited!