Beware the good times

Deuteronomy 8:11
"But that is the time to be careful! Beware that in your plenty you do not forget the Lord your God and disobey His commands, regulations, and decrees that I am giving you today."

The title got you, didn't it? It sounds odd - having to beware the good times but this is vital for every Christian in their walk. It doesn't mean you can't have good days or even enjoy the good times and prosperity you get - they are blessings so enjoy them!

But be careful, the scriptures say. When we have plenty, our pride are something to watch carefully.

My little brother and I always seem to gravitate to conversations about our dreams and the things we will like to do in life - and that leads to talking about how fame or money can get to a person's head. People become very full of themselves and forget where they came from. Honestly, that would be one of the reason why I fear getting ahead in life - because my questions often were; How do I keep God at the center and what if I become prideful?

The pastor at my church once told us a story about this man who was very wealthy. The man had a great job, a lot of nice cars, a big house - he had great times and plenty in every area. One thing his wife (she was smart) often told him was that they needed to start tithing, giving God what was his. The man told her that he achieved all this prosperity, he worked hard and made it happen, so God can take what He gave to the man but he honestly believed everything was from his own doing. God did take what was He gave: He took the house, the many cars, the great job, and the man turned up homeless. Because of that, the man realized that everything he had - he didn't achieve it but God GAVE it to him. Don't worry, there is a happy ending; the man was humbled and began following God again, even tithing what he had. He's not where he use to be, yet, but he's on his way back to God.

Deuteronomy chapter 8:6-18 (in my own words so look it up please) basically says (not suggests but SAYS) DO NOT FORGET YOUR GOD. When you become big or having the best week of your life - remember the Lord and remember your roots. Remember your Egypt that God rescued you from. Remember where you started and how God came and brought you through those tough times - it could be financially or emotionally, anything that was holding you captive. 

During my dark days, I pretty much cry my eyes out for God, praying, and talking to him a lot. Yet, on my great days, I'm easily distracted and I forget to pray before eating and just telling God 'thank You.'

So personally, I know this scripture is for me!

No matter what day it is; whether is the best day of my life or the darkest - I need God all day, every single day.

God bless you everyone!