CHAPTER 02

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

VENDREDI 08:15

After the short meeting with her parents, Chaeyoung caught a plane to Iceland with her bodyguard. A six-feet-tall pale skin straight blonde female bodyguard named  Brynhildur: the name meaning "armoured warrior woman", her name represents as what she is today.

Seven hours in the air, the plane landed at "Reykjavík" the capital city of Iceland: the world's northernmost capital. Nearly two-thirds of the country's population lives in the capital area.

The dark had already embraced the country. 

Brynhildur escorted Chaeyoung to the Tower Suit Hotel that was facing over the ocean. They had dinner before going to their room. Brynhildur insisted to have separate room because it is not formal to share a room with one's master, but Chaeyoung does not want to be alone and she does not mind sharing room with a female bodyguard so they only got one room.

Chaeyoung stood near the glass wall, filling her eyes with the beauty of night lights. She went on: "Have you ever seen the northern lights?"

Brynhildur smiled and said: "I did, Miss. After all, I was born in this country."

The adorable round eyes widened in amazed. "Really? That's surprising! Why did you not mention anything?"

"Your mom paid me to look after you, not to tell my story."

"Oh, that's true. But we can freely talk, right? I don't have someone else to talk anyway."

"Of course." She gazed at the dark horizon. "You came at the right time." She referred the month where Aurora Borealis appears.

Aurora is visible from late August to early April. It is caused by collisions between electrically charged particles released from the sun that enter the earth's atmosphere and collide with oxygen and nitrogen: frequently in a belt of radius 2500 km centred on the magnetic north pole. This so-called auroral zone extends over northern Scandinavia, Island, the southern tip of Greenland and continuing over northern Canada, Alaska and along the northern coast of Siberia. The reason that the Aurorae can only be seen at the poles of the Earth has to do with how our magnetic field acts.