Chapter 61: Kirstie

After breakfast, I sit in the living room and start watching TV. Avi sits down and pulls me close. "Good show?" He asks

I shrug "Not really. It actually really stupid. I don't know why I watch it." I say with no emotion. I exhale loudly, turn off the TV, and storm out the front door.

A few seconds after I sit down on the curb, Avi comes out and sits next to me. The sunlight brought out the natural highlights in his hair and made his green eyes even brighter.

"You good, sweetie?" He asks.

"Fine." I grumble.

"Alright, then what's with the attitude?" He asks softly.

"Nothing." I really don't need this right now

"I'm gonna need more than the one word answers. You know you can tell me anything, baby." He rubs my back as he spoke.

I'm shaking and I don't want him to notice, so I smack his hand away.

"I don't want to!" I say as I get up and walk away, storming back into the house.

I push past Mitch and Scott, who were talking in the archway of the kitchen, and run upstairs.

I throw myself onto my bed. I don't cry, I just lay there. A few minutes go by and I hear a knock on the door. I give a loud, audible groan. "Go away!" I say.

For a few seconds, it's quiet, but then I see my door open and Mitch peeking his head in. "Kit?" He asks quietly.

"What part of go away do you not understand?" I sit up and glare.

He looked like he was about to cry. "I just wanted to check on you. You pushed me pretty hard. And the look on your face told me that something was bothering you. You're my best friend, Kit. Talk to me."

“I don’t want to talk to you, Mitchell. Now leave me alone.” I say, my voice laced with sass. Him being in the room is not helping anything. 

He looks hurt. "What did I do?" He asks, his eyebrows drawn in. "I just want to help you, because clearly something is bothering you." 

“Well, you can’t help me, so just leave!” I shout at him. I can’t deal with this right now. It’s all too much and he needs to get out before I make him. 

"Wow." He chuckles. Tears start to form. "So you're just gonna be a bitch to me? Wow." He shakes his head and looks at the ground.

“You’ve been a bitch too, y’know. It’s like that baby made you so irritable that you’re just irritating to everyone else now.” I say, I didn’t even mean that, I just need him to get out of the room before I break down in front of him. And that seemed like the most likely thing to work. 

His eyes went wide. "You're really gonna pull the baby card? Might I remind you who was there when you were in the hospital. Me. I held you while you bawled your eyes out for hours." He pointed to his chest.

“Yeah! So you of all people should’ve known to be more fucking careful!” I screamed at him, unable to hold back anymore, a few tears started falling. “You know how fucking dangerous this is, you know how hard it is to lose a child! I’ve done it three times, Mitch! Three times! I can’t do that again! I can’t watch that happen to you!” 

"So yelling at me and pushing me away is your solution? That's the last thing you should be doing, if it's so fucking dangerous!" He throws his hands up.

“I don’t know what else to do.” My voice goes quiet when I speak again. “If I get too close, it’ll hurt more. I can’t do that, I can’t handle it again.” My face is damp with tears as I try to compose myself so I don’t sob.