20

The next morning appeared to be brighter and shiny than the other days. Was it always like this? Or only today? Or was it just her to not notice the beauty around her, Naina thought as she ran through the paths which led to the park.

Her black copper mixed wavey hairs bouncing from right to left, the sweat beads rolling down her forehead, the heartbeat which raced as fast as she ran. Upon reaching the park, she stopped running. She looked around while taking heavy breaths.

She could hear the chirping of birds, feel the way the fresh breeze was caressing her. The laughter of the small children around her who playing, brought a small smile on her lips.

Turning towards her right, she saw a couple who were of around her age, dusting off the mud that their daughter had got into her hairs and clothes while playing.

As her gaze was fixed on them, all of a sudden the couple was replaced by her and Aditya and the small girl by Nia. She gasped as she saw herself dusting off the mud while scolding how the father and daughter had played with the mud to only add up another chore for before going to work.

There was end to their banter. Aditya and Nia finally apologized her by holding their ears with a cute puppy face while Naina glared at them but eventually gave up on being mad at them and laughed at how their hairs were messed up and their faced turned brown with all playing with mud. Seeing her laugh, Aditya and Nia to laughed loudly and hugged eachother.

A smile appeared on her face as she saw how happy they looked. Tears rolled down her cheeks, but they were of happiness. She always wished that she would have a family. And she does. But she was never happy or feel content in her life. Wiping the tears off her eyes, she looked at them again to see a black haired girl stood beside them. She was devoid of any emotion. Her eyes looked like her happiness was drowned out of her life. She stood there looking soulless, in the same dress smeared with blood which she had worn on that fateful day.

The girl turned her head to look at couple and their daughter in whom Naina saw herself, Aditya and Nia still. The girl looked back at Naina as if asking 'why?' And the way she looked at her, it made her feel even more guilty for something that was really not in her hands.

"Komal?" Naina whispered.

Seeing her, Naina started to panicking. Taking steps backward still looking at the girl, she stumbled but did not fall.

'you snatched away my daughter's life'

'it's because of you that she died'

'you were supposed to die, not her'

'you can never live happily'

'you can never take her place'

'you killed her'

She started hearing the voices, some her's and some others' who had blamed her back during those initial days of Komal's death.

Having enough of hearing, she closed her ears with her hands and turned away from the soulless girl who stood there. She felt like she could not breath anymore.

She felt like suffocating in when she was in an open space surrounded by the greeneries. Not waiting even for a minute, she strode out of the park marching towards the shop which was nearby.

"One wa-water bottle" her voice sounded shaky and nervous as she placed the amount in his hands.

Taking the bottle, she opened the lid and started gulping it and then splashed some water on her face.

Disposing the bottle, she wiped her face with the back of her hands and breathe deeply. Then she sat on the bench which was placed nearby the shop and held her face in her hands.