Dark Impact: Part 5

I want to apologize for this chapter being delayed. It appears my shoulder was worse than I realized... so... I'm really sorry.

As some of you may have noticed, I can't be bothered to come up with creative or witty names for this case. My brain is tired lol.

Anyways, on with the story!

----------------------------

"You were seen?" Haibara half shouted at Conan. "Did she find out that we were following her?

"No, I somehow managed to trick her. She hasn't noticed the tracker or bug yet either." Conan replied simply.

"Then why didn't you say there was something on the bottom of her shoe, and get it back?" Dr. Agasa questioned.

"Yeah, I thought of that too..." Conan started.

"That's my fault..." You mumbled. "I... got distracted..."

"No, it wasn't just you." Conan stated. "There was something off about her."

"But this means we can continue to follow her." Jodie added optimistically. "And there seems to be more to their assassination attempt."

"Yeah, I'm guessing they're going to meet up somewhere for their next plan." Conan mumbled.

"Well, from here on leave it to the FBI. You guys should head home." Jodie insisted. "Though, I'll be borrowing these two." Jodie smiled, and dropped a hand on both of your heads. "I'm sure they'll be a big help."

You let your eyes fall to the ground. I only seem to make things worse...

"How will you follow them without a car?" Agasa asked.

"No problem~" Jodie hummed in English. As though on command, a car pulled up behind the three of you. "My boss likes to come out and play as a driver."

You recognized the driver from a rather tedious case from a while back. You hadn't thought anything of him at the time... What else have I been oblivious too... You questioned yourself cynically. 

"Alright, Doc, take car of Ran and Uncle." Conan stated. "Get them over to your place and keep them hidden there."

"Got it."

"Just to be safe we'll send two or three agents over to keep an eye out." Jodie added.

"Hey, remember, your first prerogative is to retrieve the tracker and bug." Haibara stated. She stared at Conan, the look in her eyes holding a deep intensity. "Don't get any ideas of righteousness, or you could end up losing everything."

A knot twisted in your stomach.

"Yeah, I know." Conan nodded, his eyes determination, but you could see the faint traces of worry in the sea of blue.

-----------------------------------

"You shot out the sprinkler to make them think it was raining. The target and those around him put up their umbrellas, effectively stopping the sniping." Jodie's boss, James, summarized. "You're quite a genius boy. Just about makes me want to recruit you into the FBI."

"It was all Rin's idea." Conan stated, shooting a proud glance in her direction. She was staring down at the floor. Even though they were too far away to hear anything from the bug, she had the earbuds in.

This whole thing really seems to have her on edge... more than normal. Don't tell me she's blaming herself... He thought silently, as he watched her from the corner of his eye.