The Dark Footprint

Based on Episode 309-311

------------------------------

You were supposed to be asleep. However, that wasn't something you were very good at. I wonder if Judo finished up that case. You pondered. Today was one of the rare occasions that he had to handle a case on his own. While Kogoro and Conan went to solve a case (with Ran acting as their chaperone), Dr. Agasa took you to the hospital for a checkup. Since there was no knowing when they'd be done with the case, you were instructed to stay with the Doc.

You slid off your blankets, and climbed from your small cot on the floor. Making your way quietly out of the room, you went to your invention table to tinker. You adjusted the amount of torque on the grapple belt, hoping to increase the speed of it's retraction.

You glanced at your cell phone. Zero new messages, huh? I wonder if everything is alright... A smirk broke onto your face. I suppose I can just check. You sifted through the pile of trinkets that cluttered the table, sifting through it until your hand settled on the cheap looking mp3 device. The screen displayed an assortment of album covers, but those were just to cover its real purpose. You placed one of the headphones in your ear, before spinning the small dial on the front of the device. You spun it one time to the right, eight times to the left, nine times to the right, and one time to the left. The screen blinked, and displayed the radio frequency of the voices that now came through the headphones.

"He started using the invisible writing ten days after that man visited him." Conan's voice buzzed over the speaker.

"He must have been worried about them finding out." Dr. Agasa whispered.

You knew most people would get mad if they found out you'd bugged your best friend, but you blamed him. If he didn't constantly try to play the lone white knight, none of this would be necessary. After his stunt at Touto Tower with the bomb, you weren't letting him pull anymore of his tricks.

Who is Judo talking about? Is it about the case he was on? You thought to yourself. You swung your legs lazily, as you continued to listen to his conversation. Haibara exited the bathroom from her shower, but she didn't seem to notice you.

He began to read off what sounded like diary entries of a seriously paranoid man. His pen was moved 5cm and it wasn't the first time, someone broke into his house and didn't take anything, he left a note for the mysterious person and he received a reply. The diary entries spoke of accepting someone's request, and being told to complete an abandoned computer program by a strange woman. Your eyes narrowed. Computer program? That sounds like something they would be interested in... The entries went on to say he couldn't complete the program, and would leave it in his cottage five days from the pickup date... February 14th. Wow... way to kill Valentines day... You thought to yourself with a sigh.

"Oh, there's one last entry." Judo noted. "February 10th: I wonder what they were going to do with this program... I can't stop thinking about the strange things that woman said over the phone. When I was finally tired of her queen-like mentality, I asked her who the hell she thought she was, to which she replied in English... ' We can be both of God and the Devil, since we are trying to raise the dead against the stream of time.'"

"What did you say?!" Dr. Agasa gasped.

"We can be both of God and the Devil, since..."

"We're trying to raise the dead against the stream of time." Another voice came over the speakers. You glanced around, and realized she'd vanished without you noticing.