I'm Just Full of Surprises

"You tricked me." Conan hissed in your ear, as the police inspected the fake gem you'd left behind.

"Who me? Would little old me do such a thing?" You said with mock surprise.

"Don't patronize me. Where's the gem?"

"Who says I have it?"

"I do, now give it back."

"Or what?"

"I'll tell them." He smiled. You knew he would to, that little jerk.

"Don't bother." You whispered, then you cleared your throat, and started crying.

"Rin, what is it?" Ran asked, instantly going into mother mode.

You hiccup sobbed, and looked up at her. "Conan called me a thief. He said I was going to go to prison and be locked up with big ugly thugs."

"Conan, why would you say such a thing. You're supposed to be friends!" Ran chastised the boy.

"I-I didn't say that, but it's the truth. She has the gem!" Conan shouted defensively. That got everyone's attention.

"Rin, what does he mean?" Mcguire approached you and asked.

You pulled a ruby red rock out of your pocket. "W-when I left to go to the bathroom, someone tripped over me and dropped this." You mumbled pitifully. "I was going to give it back, but then Conan said those things..." Mcguire took the stone from you. "P-please don't send me to where all the bad people go! I promise I wasn't being bad!" You fake cried.

"Don't worry, kid. You didn't do anything wrong. You aren't in trouble." Mcguire tried to sooth you.

"It doesn't matter anyway." Jirokichi sighed.

"What's that mean, old man?" You hiccupped.

"It's a fake. It has the Black Fox's symbol on the inside of it." Jirokichi explained.

Conan looked at you in disbelief. His eyes questioning you. Where's the Detective's Eye?

You wiped away the fake tears, and smiled up at Inspector Mcguire. "Thanks for not arresting me, Mister!"

"Are you feeling better now, Rin?" Ran asked.

"Y-yeah, I was just scared." You replied.

Ran turned to Conan, her face stern. "We aren't done talking about this young man. You shouldn't pick on Rin."

"Sorry." Conan mumbled angrily.

"Hey, Conan, can you whistle?" You asked, quickly changing to your perky kid voice.

"Y-yeah." He replied skeptically.

"Do it!" You smiled.

"I don't wanna." He stated.

"Fine then. What about you Ran?"

"Yeah, I can whistle." Ran said.

"Can you whistle with me? I want to see who can whistle the loudest!" You smiled childishly up at her.

"Sure, but only once."

"Yay! On the count of three! One... Two... Three!" You both whistled as loud as you could. Yours wasn't as loud as it could be, but that was all you needed.

On cue, Kuro flew in through the hole that was the window, and lighted on the gem's empty stand. Everyone stared at him in confusion, but nobody moved. He cawed loudly, dropped the pouch, and flew out the window again. Inspector Nakamori was the first to move. He picked up the pouch and dumped its contents onto the glass case. Out tumbled the Detective's Eye, and a folded note.