The Thief and the Detective

"He isn't going anywhere until he's killed me." That's what you told Kaitou Kid. Now that you were back at Shinichi's, you couldn't believe yourself. Damn, I must be losing my edge. I go thirteen years without telling anyone ANYTHING, and now I've blabbed to two people! You chastised yourself.

Your thoughts were interrupted when the front door was thrown open, then slammed shut. He's baaack~~

Shinichi stormed into the lounge and glared at you. "What was all that about!"

"I already told you, I was bored." You said with a pout.

"So pick up a book! Don't crash my case!" Shinichi growled.

"I already read all the books in here!" You grumbled.

Shinichi sighed and placed his head in his hand. "What happened to taking it easy so you could heal?"

"My life can't go on hold because I got hurt! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed. Good night!" You barked, as you pushed past him and headed to the room you were using.

-------------------------------------------------------

"I can't believe her!" Shinichi growled as he dropped onto the couch. The phone began to ring, so Shinichi reluctantly answered. "Hello?"

"Shinichi, it's Dr.Hamamoto."

"Oh, hey, do you need something?" Shinichi asked.

"Not exactly, more like I have something you need to know." Dr.Hamamoto said in a tense voice.

"Alright, I'm all ears Doc."

"Is that girl still staying with you?"

"Yeah, she's doing a lot better, although she keeps being as reckless as ever."

"You need to be careful!"

"What, is she dangerous?"

"No, but if you aren't careful she'll end up dead."

"Wh-what are you talking about?"

"I knew I recognized that scar on her from somewhere, I saw it back when you were a little boy. You would have been around four. I got an urgent call from your mother one day, so I rushed right over. She had found a terribly injured child on the side of the road." Dr.Hamamoto recalled.

"My mother?"

"Yes. You were so young I doubt you remember. I did what I could for the child, but her heart, and some of the valves were damaged. It was as if someone had tried to carve out her heart. The wound over her heart covered the whole left side of her chest. When I finished patching her up I went and talked with your parents, and when we went back into the room she was gone."

"What did you and my parents discuss?"

"I told them that she needed a hospital. More specifically she needed a heart transplant. We discussed what could have happened to her when we saw the news. The reporter said that the Blood Rose Butcher had struck again, and the daughter was missing. I never knew what happened to her. I thought she had died. But, there is no mistaking that scar of hers."

"Wait, so you're telling me to be careful..."

"Precisely, if she keeps overexerting herself, her heart could fail. That's not all though. I hate to bring it up, but there's something that has bugged me since that day."

"And what's that?"

"The day your mother found that girl, the Blood Rose Butcher vanished. A serial killer like him doesn't just stop cold turkey. I fear he may be waiting to finish the job."

"You don't mean..."

"Exactly. I'm afraid he might still be after her. It perfectly fits with her actions: why she keeps her identity a secret from everyone, why she doesn't let anyone get close, even why she became a vigilante." Dr.Hamamoto said bluntly.

Shinichi couldn't form a sentence. The Doctor was right. Even the things she didn't know made more sense now.

"Are you still there?" Dr.Hamamoto asked.

"Yeah, I-I'm just shocked." Shinichi whispered.

"In the time she's been staying with you, have you seen or heard anything strange?"

"Yeah, I met some kids she visits every once in a while. Apparently, it's common for her to pass out if she plays with them for too long. But nobody seems to know who she is."

"I have to get back to work, but you need to ask her about it. That could be the difference between life and death for her. You have to find that killer, I fear she won't go to a hospital to get treated until he's been caught."

"Yeah, I know. Thanks for the info." Shinichi thanked the doctor.

"No problem. Take care of her Shinichi, you might be the only person she can rely on." With that the Doctor hung up.

Shinichi couldn't believe what he had just been told. He leaned back on the couch and stared up at the roof. He thought hard, but he couldn't think of anyone suspicious he had seen lately. "Why did she decide to tell me?" Shinichi whispered into the quiet room.

"I was just thinking the same thing." A voice called from the window.

Shinichi leapt to his feet, and was startled by the figure that sat in the window sill. "I didn't expect to see you so soon, Kaitou Kid."

Kid held up his hands. "I come in peace. I'm not here to fight."

"So, why are you here?" Shinichi asked.

"Cause, after the two of us got away, we started talking. Mid-sentence she collapsed. She blew it off, and acted like it was nothing, but I don't believe her."

"Why do you care? You're a solitary thief."

"Something about her is familiar. I'd guess you felt that way too. She knows so much about the two of us. She knows some of my dad's old tricks, she's just as good at detective work as you are, and she's got fighting skills like your friend. It can't be a coincidence." Kid stated, as he looked out at the moon.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this, but I feel the same way. She's a thief, but I feel like I can trust her, and I don't even know why."

"That's why I'm here. I suggest a truce."

Shinichi didn't think he had heard him right. "You want to form a truce?"

"To be honest I would love to just keep our game of cat and mouse going, but I can't just watch someone, who trusts me, die. I can't figure out why she decided to trust the two of us, of all people, but we can't just ignore it." Kid stated, daring Shinichi to argue.

"As much as it pains me to say, I agree with you." Shinichi sighed.

"So, what's the plan brainiac?"

"We can't ask her anything now, she needs to rest."

"It's decided then! I'll crash here until morning."

"Since when did my house become an inn for thieves?" Shinichi mumbled under his breath. "Fine, you can sleep in my room. You might as well get comfortable, and I doubt a top hat and spectacle are comfortable to sleep in. The door locks from the inside, so you don't have to worry about anyone seeing your face." Shinichi sighed in exasperation.

"You sure are quick to figure things out."

"I'm used to dealing with someone who always wears a mask." Shinichi replied, before glaring at Kid. "And you'd better not sleep commando, or the cops will be the least of your worries."

Kid grinned and climbed off the window sill. "Thanks Kudo. Maybe you aren't all bad."

"Shut up before I kick you out." Shinichi sighed as he dropped onto the couch. Forced to sleep on the couch in my own house, and by two thieves nonetheless. Shinichi thought to himself as he slowly began to fall asleep.