Bomb on a Bus

Based on Episode 230-231

I have a confession to make. I have actually only watched around 20 episodes past this point. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so a lot of the inferences I'm putting in the story are ones that I made myself. I hope they aren't so far off base that it makes the story needlessly complicated. I may have to take a week off of writing to try and watch more episodes. Sorry...

----------------------------------------

Everything remained rather quiet, until the police made their response. They decided to release the hijacker's boss, and the hijackers promised to release three hostages when they confirmed his release and safety. When the contact with the police ended, they took both of their ski bags, and placed them down the middle of the bus.

You said nothing, as Conan slowly climbed out of his seat, and tried to crawl closer to the bags. Before he could even reach the bags, the hijacker came back, this time pointing the gun at Conan's head. "You want to die that badly, kid?" The hijacker growled. You got up from your seat, and once again stood between the gun and Conan. "You again? Move it!" The man barked.

You made no move, just glared up at the hijacker, rage beginning to boil in your chest. "Oi, Rin, just get out of the way." Conan whispered to you.

"Not a chance." You stated, replying to both Conan and the hijacker.

"What did you just say?" The hijacker growled at you.

"Before you shoot me, why don't you think, dipshit?" You barked, startling the man. "There are several things that will go terribly wrong for you, should you shoot me. First, it will cause panic. Two guns versus 16 passengers, I don't like your odds. Second, you shoot me, and the cops will then take any opportunity to shoot you on sight. Lastly..." You looked at the man and grinned. "If those bags contain what I think they do, you'd be wise to stay your trigger finger." You smirked at the man's startled face. "Of course, if I'm wrong, go ahead and shoot me. You'd be doing a lot of people a favor, including some people on this very bus." You paused, and looked the man in the eyes, your rage burning behind the calm facade of your face. "So, what will your move be, Ass-hat?" Sweat trickled down the man's neck, your hatred filled eyes, and cold tone enough to confuse most criminals. As you'd expected though, the man's confusion was quickly hidden, and replaced with an angry scowl. He lifted the gun, but, instead of shooting you, he brought the gun across the side of your head. You once again hit the ground with a thud, but this time you felt blood begin to trickle down the side of your face.

"Get back in your seats! If I hear another peep from either of you, I won't be so nice." The man spat, as he once again turned his back to you, and headed to the front.

You quietly got to your feet, not having made a single sound of pain, and returned to your seat. Conan followed suit, worry in his eyes. "Are you alright?" He whispered so only you could hear him.

"I'm fine, this is nothing." You replied. "Everything happened exactly as I'd expected." You replied, wiping the blood that had begun to trickle down your neck. You glanced past Conan to Haibara, who was shivering in fear. I need to get her off this bus as soon as possible. You thought to yourself.

"What do you mean? You were expecting him to hit you?" Conan hissed.

"Of course. If, as I'd assumed, the bags held a bomb, he wouldn't be able to risk shooting me. At the same time, he couldn't let the other passengers think he was so weak as to be pushed around by a kid, so he struck me." You replied, in your usual casual tone.

"Don't take too many risks, Cool Kid." Jodie whispered, looking down at Conan from the top of the seat. "You're little friend can't keep covering for you." She continued. She then spotted the quivering Haibara. "Don't worry, we'll be free soon enough."