Countdown to Heaven: Part 3

"Who knew someone like me would be allowed here?" You chuckled under your breath so only Conan could hear you.

"Don't start." Conan hissed back at you.

"What? I mean, I always thought I'd be led into this building in cuffs, not as a guest." Conan shot a quick glare in your direction, but you just shrugged. "Oh, come on. It's police HQ. Why wouldn't I think that way? I've been here a few times, but never as a guest."

Conan's glare intensified. "What were you doing here?" He grumbled, as he followed Ran and the others deeper into the building.

"I had to destroy all records of my existence somehow. Hacking's great, but it can't be used on hardcopies~" You hummed at the boy. He sighed in defeat, and kept walking. Shiratori (Sir Swan) led your group into a conference room of sorts, where Mcguire was waiting.

Everyone took a seat. You sat between Conan and Sir Swan. Your feet dangled off the edge of your chair, so, of course, you began to childishly swing them.

"Thank you all for coming. We called you all in because there was a murder in the Twin Tower Buildings." Mickey stated. As he stated this, Chiba put a photo on the board. (A/N: I just realized, Chiba lacks a nickname! I may leave it that way, have him the only one without a nickname, unless you guys have suggestions!)

"That's the Councilman, Oki Iwamatsu!"

"We were informed that all of you were present when he asked Tokiwa Mio for a room." Mickey explained. "Chiba." He nodded towards the man at the whiteboard. You began to childishly spin in your swivel chair, ignoring the glare Conan directed at you.

"We estimate the time of death between 10:00pm and midnight. The murder weapon is a knife, but it wasn't at the scene." Chiba explained. "However, we did find a broken sake cup in his hands."

Sir Swan pulled said sake cup from a box, the chipped remains kept together by a clear evidence bag. He laid the bag on the table for Kogoro to see. "It seems to be a rather expensive cup." He muttered.

"It's possible he had the cup with him during the murder, yet we believe it is more likely to be a dying message." Mickey explained.

Chiba put five photos on the board. They were of the Prez, the Secretary, the Architect, the Painter, and the Lead Programmer. Kogoro and the others began rambling about what the sake cup could symbolize. Ideas ranged from a painter's bowl to word play for chocolate and clumsy.

"Couldn't it just as easily be a message from the killer?" You pipped in. All eyes turned to you, as you continued spinning in circles.

"What do you mean?" Sir Swan grumbled, glowering down at your minuscule form in the large swivel chair.

"What do you mean, what do I mean?" You muttered.

Sir Swan abruptly stopped your chair, and forced you to face forward. "This isn't a childish game." He growled at you.

You looked the detective in the eyes. It infuriated you, that look he had. It was a look of superiority, a look that made you feel inferior and insignificant. It was the look you'd seen for years, from passersby on the street, and it pissed you off. "I'm well aware of that, Inspector." You stated, your voice dropping to a challenging tone. "However, I feel that it is foolhardy to get set on a single idea until you have more facts. Based on your evidence, it could just as easily have been a signature." You replied, not taking your eyes off of Shiratori. "Tell me if I'm wrong, Sir."

Sir Swan seemed taken aback by your seeming flip in attitude, but he didn't respond. You stared down the Inspector, until you received a swat across the arm. "Ow!" You glanced at Conan, who was giving you his best are-you-stupid face yet. You sighed, before turning back to face everyone. "At least that's what Sherlock Holmes always says!" You added, a more childish air to your tone.