Chapter 29: Ya know?

Y/n's POV:

"Hello?"

I blinked rapidly, making sure I saw what I saw.

Am I tripping or was Kehlani just walking in?

What the fuck?

I looked down and totally forgot that Ariana was proposing.

The smile she once had faded into a frown.

"If you don't want to marry me then say 'No' so I won't look like a dumbass holding a ring in front of you as I'm being ignored" She said sadly, turning around to walk away but I grabbed her arm and turned her back to face me.

"Baby, I never said that I didn't want to marry you, of course I do" I tried to reassure her but she still held a frown.

"That was embarassing, it would've been better if you had just said no but instead I was standing there like a fucking idiot"

"I just- you caught me off guard and I thought that I had seen something but I was obviously imagining things" I attempted to explain my lack of focus but she wasn't buying it.

"I promise, I was obviously gonna say yes but I might've gotten a little nervous and my mind was essentially fucking me"
"Let me be your mind" She whispered, a smirk appearing on her face.

"Why would you- oh- I see what you did there"
I finally caught on after a few seconds had passed.
"That was a very bad attempt at a sexual remark baby" I said wrapping my arms around her neck, pulling her closer to me.

"Can you please ask me to be your future wife again? I want to say yes" I asked lowly and she dropped her head slightly as a smile made its way to her face.

"Baby" She whined, her smile only growing when she looked up to see mine.
"Fine, I'll propose again but it won't be as good as the first one"

"As long as I get to marry you one day, I could care less what the proposal is"
"Baby" She pouted, her eyes becoming glossy.

"What? Don't cry mamas"
"That was cute" She mumbled out as I held her close to my chest, kissing the top of her head.

She wiped her eyes and kissed my lios before pulling out the ring once more.
"Yes"
"But I didn't-" I shrugged as my smile grew.
"Yes, I'll marry you"

We both began laughing uncontrollably at my eagerness.
"I'm being serious, now slide that rock on my finger so we can go celebrate upstairs"
She quickly slide the ring on and interlocked our fingers, rushing up to my bedroom.
"Don't need to tell me twice" She mumbled as she skipped steps to get upstairs faster.

-

We had gotten off of the bus and finally settled down inside of the rented house for the weekend.

The house consisted of half the dancers, along with a few of Ariana's friends, and obviously Ariana and myself.

I had just gotten out of the shower and changed into some shorts and a tank top.

It was one of our only days off before we had rehersals and performances so everyone agreed to throw a pool party.

"It's Coachella weekend fuckers!" Courtney announced as she and a few dancers brought in bags of ice, alcohol, red solo cups, and beer.

Everyone filled their cups up with just about everything but I only had a cold bottle of Corona with a lime.

"To one hell of a weekend" Courtney announced and everyone including myself raised their drinks, the only difference, I didn't drink.

I slipped away from the crowd and walked out to the backyard and sat by the pool.

I heard the sliding glass down open and close behind me, making me turn my head.
"Need a friend? I'm a great listener" She said with a smile.
"Hey"

It was Njomza.
She was one of Ariana's closer friends but we had hardly talked, I think we've said a total of 3 words to each other before now.

"I saw you walk out here and I wanted to give you some time alone but I figured something was on your mind and you'd wanna talk about it"
"How did you know?" I asked lowly, staring at the nearly full bottle in my hand.

"It was the way you hid yourself away from everyone, I could tell"

I gave her a weirded out look and she just laughed.

"And.." She drew out.
"..I'm Ariana's other best friend, you're all she talks about and she told me about this specific thing you do-"
"-The jaw and eyes?" I asked and she nodded.
A dead giveaway, Ariana knew me too well..sort of.
"The jaw and eyes"

"Speaking of Ariana, she the reason behind your frown?"
"You're not gonna tell her or anyone if I tell you right?" She shook her head and held out a pinky.
"Promise"

I nodded.
"Yeah"
"She uh- proposed and I said yes but I feel like it was a mistake..me saying yes to her" I said fiddling with the ring on my finger.
"Why's that?"

"Her ex-"
"-Ricky?"
The simple mention of his name made my blood boil.

God I wanted to smack him.

"Yeah, there's this thought that's been playing in the back of my mind and if it's true, then all of this was for nothing"
"I love her, don't get me wrong but I think we should take a pause.." I spoke softly, looking at the calm blue water in front of my feet.
"I feel like we should take some time apart and just work on ourselves for a while"

I shrugged my shoulders lightly, maybe I was just talking nonsense and this new engagement was freaking me out.

"Ya know?"

But what if it wasn't?

What if a break was for the best?

My heart suddenly dropped when a voice spoke from behind me.
"If you didn't want to marry me then you should've said that" She sassed but I could hear the hurt laced in her tone.

I quickly jumped up and followed her, not letting her get too far before stopping her.

"Ariana, I didn't-"
She stopped and turned around to face me, her bottom lip quivering as she spoke.
"-you wanted to pause or break up? You got it" She said taking off the promise ring I had gave her.
"Consider yourself single Y/n" She tossed it into my hands before storming off.

Everyone had stopped to look at me.

I fucked up..

-

Sorry to leave y'all hanging again but thank you for 70k reads...insane. Please go check out the sequel to
'Be My Baby' called 'Right There' :)