Chapter 22: I don't want to

Y/n's POV:

"Baby I'm almost done, can you get me a towel?" Ariana called out from the bathroom.
"Yeah"
I walked to the other side of the hotel room and grabbed a towel, making my way over to the bathroom to give to Ariana when her phone kept going off.
I tossed the towel on the bed before taking her phone in my hands.
Texts from the same contact kept coming in, Ricky.
My heart hurt at the thought of Ariana cheating on me with him.
We've been over this before.

It felt wrong doing it but I unlocked her phone, only to see her recent call log has been majorly from Ricky.
Another text came through 'You're not having second thoughts about this are you?'
Second thoughts about what?
I clicked on the message and began to scroll up through their shared texts.
Suddenly the bathroom door opened and out came Ariana.
"I asked you for a towel but I found one-"
"-You've been texting Ricky?" I asked, my eyes becoming glossy.

"Why are you going through my phone?" She asked angrily.
"Can I not have any fucking privacy?"
"Nobody said you couldn't but I go to get a towel for you-"
She snatched her phone from my hands.
"-and your phone kept going off, text after text"
"The weirdest part is, it's your ex- the one who's still in love with you" I said laughing slightly out of anger.
She walked back into the bat room with a fresh set of clothes and quickly changed before coming back out with her arms crossed.

"I-I think that we should maybe take a pause on our relationship" I said looking away from her as I swallowed the lump in my throat.
If I looked into her eyes for too long, I'd cave and I couldn't have that.
"A pause?" She asked and I nodded slowly.
"Just say that you want to break up with me Y/n, c'mon accuse me of cheating on you with Ricky" She said stepping closer to me.
"Ariana-"
She quickly interjected.
"-I love you Y/n, so damn much"
"And I love you too Ariana" I said and she let out a sigh as she attempted to grab my hands.

"Then what's the problem?" She asked with a pout.
God she's so cute.
"Sometimes love isn't enough for people to stay in relationships" I said completely avoiding another mention of his name.
"Then tell me what's enough and I-I'll do it" She begged and I shook my head.
As hard as it was, I had to go through with it.
"That's the thing Ariana" I said raising my voice.
"You should know this, as my damn girlfriend, you should know exactly what I'm talking about" I said and she rolled her eyes.
"If you don't talk to me, how am I supposed to know?" She asked and I laughed.

"I do talk Ariana, you just don't care enough to listen to what I'm saying" I explained and she scoffed.
"Yes I do, of course I do"
"I want to break up" I simply said, grabbing my phone and putting it in my pocket.
"You obviously have your mind set on us not being together so I'm not gonna waste your time and beg you not to do it" She said sniffling.
"I love you"
"I love you too Ariana" I said licking my lips, trying to do anything to prevent myself from breaking down right now.
"Are you at least gonna stay on tour with me or I just not gonna hear from you?" She asked and I looked away.

"Of course" She said shaking her head as she wiped her tears with the ends of my sweater that she was wearing.
"I think that it would be best if I didn't continue on tour with you, it'll only hurt us both more if I did" I said and she shook her head.
"It's hurting me because you're leaving"
"Ariana don't do that" I said letting the tears fall.
"Do what Y/n? Express my feelings?"
"I believe in you okay? I think that you can finish this tour and move on without me" I said rubbing up and down her arm as we both cried.
"You gotta let go of me"

"I don't want to, I can't let you go" She said beginning to bawl her eyes out.
"You have to babygirl"
"Maybe sometime or someday in the future, if we're meant to be, we'll meet again and you can tell me all about how you killed every show on tour"
"I love you" I said giving her a kiss on her forehead before walking away.
As my hand touched the doorknob to leave, I sensed that something was wrong with her.
She was gonna have a panic attack.
I was right, she pulled me back by my shirt into her arms.
I held her in my arms, rocking us back and forth as I rubbed her back in attempt to calm her down.
She was crying hysterically.
Minutes turned into hours and soon enough, she fell asleep.

Ariana's POV:

I woke up the next morning by myself with a pain in my chest.
She really left.
I sat up and looked around the hotel room to see that any trace of Y/n was gone besides the hoodie that was on my body.
I brought it up to my nose, inhaling the scent as I began to cry again.
Then my phone went off.
"What's up?"
"So how'd it go?" He asked and I sighed before reaching underneath my pillow, grabbing the black box.
"I didn't get the chance to ask" I said crying again once I opened up the small black box to reveal a diamond ring.

"Was it the ring?" He asked and I shook my head.
"She broke up with me" I said sadly.
"Ariana, I'm so sorry"
"It was my fault, I should've just bought the ring myself instead of asking you to" I said admiring the beautiful ring.
"You wanted it to be a surprise though-"
"-I gotta go to sound check" I said hanging up the phone.
The ring was similar to the one that her grandmother gave her as a gift when we were younger before she passed.
The plan was to propose tonight during the show but things don't always go as planned.