S3.39_Reading the stars

Chapter 39

Indeed if he wanted to kill her there were millions other ways, yet why did he choose this? Soo had no idea.

"Then what are his majesty doing here?" Soo asked before even realising it herself.

"If I say I came for you, would you believe it?"

Of course she wouldn't believe it. He would never come here for her. The only person the emperor has his eyes on was Ha Jin. It had never been her. If any Soo was just an imposter relying on his affection towards a person who once possessed her body.

But at least she know that the man intended her no harm.

"Please give me some time," Soo pleaded.

"Haven't you kept me waiting enough?"

"I can't go back now, I still need to-"

"Stop whatever you are doing and I will pretend as if nothing had happened."

With those words Soo knew the emperor was aware of what she was doing. And why she did.

"Your majesty already knew don't you? The person behind all this?"

His cold eyes said more than a thousand words. The emperor knew. He knew that everything was schemed by the Dowager but had just ignored it. Ignored it because it was his own mother.

"You aren't going to do anything about...Why?" Her words formed as a statement.

Because I promised him not to touch her. It was one of the condition I agreed to.

His silence spoke of nothing, leaving Soo alone to her thoughts and assumptions. She had no idea the man was bounded by a promise to enter this world. She didnt knew there was a lot he wanted to say but was tied by chains of promises which preventing him from uttering a word.

"Does it makes everything right just because she is your majesty's mother?" Soo looked at him accusingly.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a mother?" the emperor snapped in a fit of annoyance, but due to her anger Soo couldn't read the message within his words.

"If you don't regard her as your mother, then why are you covering up for her wrongdoings? Why are you letting yourself being fooled?"

"I don't have the time to discuss with you. Whatever you are doing with the eight prince, better put it to an end. Nothing will come out of it."

Like when you burned the temple, your majesty will kill everyone involved in this too?

"Are you going to kill me too, if I say a word against her favour?"

No.

The stubborn side of her raise as a growing fire, he could tell Soo wasn't going to make it easy for him.

"Why do you have so much to say? What did it become of the woman who only wanted a peaceful life? If you afraid that she will harm you, then ill give you my word. I will not let anyone touch you again. I'll guarantee your safety, no one will be able to hurt you," ignoring his plead Soo persistently remained firm in her position.

"Please give me some time. I won't ask his majesty to yield to my request nor do I expect your help or silence. But at least let me try."

Sadness had a gravity of it's own, causing the man to nearly give up on his own. He wanted her to give up, cause by all means no one would be able to touch the Dowager. Soo was right, if there were any evidence against the dowager he would burn it beyond unrecognizable, if there were witnesses he would silence them with power. He was tied to a promise with a man, which he had to keep.

"You'll not succeed," the emperor said, his eyes darkened in a sense of sorrow.

"Let me try," Soo argued. There was to many people involved in this. Wohee, Seol, Wook and the whole population of the peasant from Silla. Protecting her was one thing, but the emperor could impossibly protect all the people involved in this. Soo understood that he couldn't go against his mother, but at least she wanted to bring just a little justice to herself.

"Do you really have to do this?" The emperor asked, which she returned with a nod. Soo could tell he had softened up to her, maybe because she used the lousy card of pretending to be Ha Jin. Either way she had no choice but do so.

After all this, I promise to tell you the truth and pay for my sins. That I am not Ha Jin...

That I have been fooling the emperor using unforgivable methods...

"I'll give you three days, but after that you'll return to my side without protest," the emperor said which Soo agreed to.

"Also, you had to promise me one thing, don't get caught by Jung."

Soo did hear the complaints from Seol, how annoyingly tight the patrolling had turned after prince Jung returned.

"I'll be careful," Soo promised. She bid her goodbye and left not long after. She had promised Seol that she would be back before the lanterns were lit and couldn't delay it much longer.

After parting their ways, the emperor remained frozen at the shore of the lake. With solemn eyes he looked at the night sky as if waiting for someone.

"Arent you tired of tailing me?" The emperor spoke into the darkness.

"Are you going to come out on your own or do I have to force you to appear?"

Small steps were heard and from the bushes appeared a figure of a man. To no surprise it was the astronomer.

"How long had your majesty been aware of me?" Jimong whispered to the emperor ears as he got close enough.

"You are an astronomer, nothing escapes your eyes, of course you would know I would sneak out and follow me,"

"His majesty doesn't have the guards around, I was just being cautious,"

Indeed, the current soul possessing this body had no memory of martial arts. If any thing were to happen, he would not be able to defend himself.

"My time is slipping up isn't it?" The emperor asked in a calm voice as he looked ahead.

"The headache is getting servere, it takes more time to recover each time I get it."

"Please don't lose hope your majesty. We will find a solution,"

"Seeing how you are trying to comfort me, it must mean that I'm going to die," a dry laugh escaped his lips as he glanced at Jimong.

"Why didn't his majesty make consort Hae return, didn't it hurt less whenever she was around. Why didn't you tell her about the headache? The consort truly cares about his majesty, if she knew she would return by your side."

"There is no good in being by my side, as you already know, I has always been cursed with bad luck." The emperor grinned a grin of no real amuse.

"Jimong, if the stars ever tells you when my time is up, do tell me," the emperor move this eyes from the night sky to look at Jimong.

"After all you owe me that,"

"Astronomer Jimong humbly obey to his majesty's order," Jimong cupped his fist and bowed.

"This isn't a command, it is a request as your friend,"

A/N: happy Saturday to all of you^^