S3.06_Cut

Chapter 6

What was she supposed to do? Cut her wrist as the old Ha Jin just to avoid the marriage? No, Soo didn't want that. She didn't want to repeat the pattern that was already proven to lead the road of misery.

"Soo, I won't let you enter the palace." Myunghee said, taking Soo a step away from Baekah.

The words broke the trance Soo had been in for too long. She turned at Myunghee who with tearing eyes was trembling with her hands around her own arm. The indifferent look didn't left the eyes of Baekah, as he felt nothing upon the scene. Upon the pain that he delivered. Chaeryeong too linked her arm around Soo'a as if silently shouting her protest against the prince that stood as an unwavering mountain.

"You don't have to marry the emperor." Prince Wook appeared from the end of the corridor. Why didn't it surprise her? A prince appeared yesterday, why not one more?

Within a few steps he was right at the center, standing between Baekah and the three ladies as a wall separating the two parts. While Wook's appearance only made Baekah's expression turn a shade darker, the three ladies were showing the opposite reaction of mixed feelings.

"Your highness." Myunghee said delighted.

"Hyung-nim." Baekah made an incline of his head greeting Wook with forced formality.

"We already have an appointed spouse for Soo. A promised lady cannot be given to his majesty." Wook lies with a straight expression.

Soo could tell he was lying, Wook always held a certain expression when he wasn't speaking of the truth. Although Baekah possible couldn't tell, Soo more than anyone was aware of that fact.

She wasn't promised to anyone. Nor did Myunghee had a candidate for her marriage. Prince Wook was lying trying to deceive Baekah. Wook didn't know that Myunghee's conflicted expression was due to the fact she had asked BaekAh to take Soo's hand in marriage, not knowing that Wook was able to pull such a brazen expression.

Soo couldn't let his reputation stained for protecting her. Before Baekah would accuse him of lying to the Emperor, she had to speak up first.

"It is me an honour to serve the Emperor."

"You-"

"Soo-ya-"

"Agassi?!!"

The protest came in sync, from both the prince, Myunghee and Chaeryeong while Only Baekah remained calm and unaffected. Maybe he did see it come, that Soo would make the first step to protect Wook from the frame of a national traitor.

"Soo-ya you don't have to." Myunghee said, her hold around Soo's arm tightening more protectively.

"Don't worry Eonni, I'll be fine." Soo said with a reassuring smile.

"Before taking the trip the palace, would you mind giving me time to change? I was clumsy and accidentally spilled the tea on my outfit." Soo said to Baekah.

Wook's eyes grew big, upon noticing the scattered piece of the tea pot on the ground, while Soo's foot was completely soaked in water.

Wook bent down, stretching his hand to examine the injury, completely forgetting about the people present. His sudden gesture made Soo nervous, nervous of coursing a rift in Myunghee's heart. Her cousin was only getting better, she didn't want to make her worry of speculating misunderstandings. Soo didn't have anything with Wook and wasn't going to let anything happen between them.