S3.08_His Demeanour

Chapter 8

When reaching the palace everything was already all set. The place was decorated with red lanterns, the fragile objects fanned the air as a wave of welcomes. Soo had never been in the palace, not a single chance came her by but now this place was to become her home.

The thought was odd and honestly it was still surreal. In just a couple of days she would be it's hostess and where to be encapsulated in it's grandeur for the rest of her life.

The wedding was set within this week, maybe at most two days. Soo had to go through the protocols, she had to be examined by the courtesan and was to recover from the long trip.

The days passed painfully slow and not even a second in those days had she seen the emperor. Only on the wedding day was she allowed in his field of view. When she among others was to wed the Emperor.

That was when reality struck her and cruelty was revealed. She was just one among others that was graced with his company. One among his huge Harem. At this point Soo even felt bad for Ha Jin. What would the girl feel if she knew her lover was to become one of others? In the eye of the current emperor she was just a pawn exchanged for power, no more and no less.

Of course it was all about it, marriage was never of love or any emotionally drived force at this period. It was pure political, for calculated and strategised desires. The emperor was no different than any other ruler before him, for that matter.

At this point Soo actually felt bad for Ha Jin. It frustrates her, knowing what they actually had been through, that all those efforts was erased and that there couldn't be much done. It was like reading a book you couldn't get over. It was tormenting frustration. Still just because Ha Jin wasn't here, did it make it equal for her suffering?

Ungrateful - !

As if the emperor could hear Her thoughts, a sharp glare was directed at her. The other consorts as well turned in her direction and so did the ministers and court. From the corner of her eyes, she could see the sharpened eyes appointed at her, she knew better than returning the Emperor's gaze.

She was well informed about the rumours of how much the emperor detested people having eye contact with him. Soo had always been carefully when looking at him, she would only do that for short terms and never remain her stare on him for too long.

During the ceremony had she remained her glances at minimum. She distracted herself By staring at the red carpet which colour so perfectly matched with her shoes.

Even at this point was she so immensely  feigning ignorance, playing dumb to the attention that was burning a hole in her pretentious act.

A shadow was casted in front of her and soon a pair of feet was before her. The emperor stood in her field of view if just she were to look up. she felt the emitting demeanour of his commanding presence. What kind of bad luck. It was only the first day, and Soo had already attracted the attention of the most dangerous man in the nation.

"Your name?" The emperor said. From his tone Soo could neither tell if it was of good or bad that she had caught his attention.

"It's Hae Soo, your Majesty." Soo said, formally greeting him with curtesy.

"You may raise your head." A grin snuck its way on his cold facade.

"I..I... dare not your Majesty." She knew it was rude if not considered offensive act to not reject such a grace of looking directly at the emperor. What she didn't know was, the act held a crooked effect making him more angry than pleased.

"Are you afraid of me?"

"No, his Majesty. I would never think that way." Soo said, unable to hide the tremor in her voice.

"Liar!"

"No, your Majesty I dare not!"

Soo fell to her knees already begging for his mercy. The other consorts were half scared half relieved. At least they didn't offend the emperor at least they didn't became the target of his furry. If it wasn't themselves, they could care less of who became the victim to his demeanour.

The Emperor crouched down on one knee. The act beyond his high status made the crowd gasp in horror and perplex. He was the head of he nation, man a that would stand tall before everyone but his parents. His sudden act was out of the formal, but everyone knew better than to say a word and offend the mad emperor.

The other consort secretly took a step back, distancing themselves from Soo as if her bad luck was transmitable as if they would be smitten of the emperor's anguish.

Soo was shaking, her whole body was trembling in fear. What had she done to enrage the man within seconds? Even she had no idea.

"Raise your head," his tone of commanding was more frightening than any threat.

As a sign of impatience the emperor grabbed her jaw and forcefully raised it to face him. When she just got glance of his feature, the emperor snuck his hand behind and untied the knots of the mask he was wearing. Without the strings to keep it in place the mask fell to the ground.

Soo was shocked upon the emperor's act and she was not alone in the action. No one had ever seen the emperor's face and neither did they expect to ever see it.

While the others glued their eyes with curiosity Soo turned away as an instinct of her own. Her action made the emperor even angrier, his grip around her jaw tightened and she was forced to look at him directly into his eyes. His hold was rough and firm, which surely would leave a mark on her skin later on.

"Don't you ever dare to defy me." He spoke through gritted teeth. The emperor was angry, beyond what was safe. Swallowing her anxiety, Soo knew better than to speak without being asked to.

"Do you know what happens to those seeing my face?"

"Death... your Majesty" The words was forced out from the tip of her tongue.

Reminded of this fact, the entire court turned their head away from the emperor as fast as lightening.

An evil smile snuck its way to the emperor's lips as he looked at Soo, who was preyed in his capture. His expression was of satisfaction of a triumphant conquer.

"Don't forget this face," The emperor went close and whispered to her ear. The following sentence though was meant for everyone to hear.

"Next time you see it, will be your death."