S3.27_Slumber

Chapter 27

"Your majesty is exhausted due to the consort's missing that you haven't get a second of real sleep. Didn't it take you quite sometime to recognise her ladyship? Why don't you give it a little time, your majesty?"

Jimong was right. Not a single night had been peaceful but only an endless hell. Ever since the consort went missing the emperor has been no different from a mad man. He was supposed to attend the state affairs, but all that occupied his mind was the thought that Soo. That she has been missing while her dead or living was still unknown.

By every passing day, the hope of survival become slimmer and so did his patience and sanity. Finally, when the guard brought back his consort, she was only a corroded physique harmed by the tide of time. Covered in layer of dirt while her hand was smeared in a painful colour.

The mere thought of what she had been though, disgusted him and made him regret whatever harmful word he had ever regarded her.

The emperor was beyond words when seeing his consort that he cut all state's affair and didn't leave her chamber before she would awake. But when that moment finally come, the first words that escaped those lips was empty words and an expression that was him ever so foreign.

After finally realising that Soo was the person he cared and treasured, time had washed away every memory and turned him into a stranger. Once again. 

I only begged for you to be alive... I should be content. The emperor mentally thought.

I should be...

But am I not...

.

.

When the emperor went back to his consort chamber, the servant was already in the middle of treating her wounds. The bandaged around her wrist, underneath was a red line which separated the skin on both of it sides.

His consort appeared to have adjusted to the circumstances, judging by the way she allowed the maiden to treat her wounds and also it appeared as they had changed her clothes.

A servant was walking out with a bowl of water which had been used to cleanse the wound. When passing the pillar the maidservant's eyes rounded when realising the almighty emperor standing behind the huge wooden pillar, when stealing glances of his consort. While the maid was about to greet the ruler, the emperor silenced her with silenced commanding eyes.

Reading the emperor intention, the maid only made a bow of her head and quite continued what she was doing. She fastly understood that the emperor didn't want the consort to know that he was present.

Another servant was seated on the edge of the bed. The maiden slowly fed the the consort with a spoon of medicine.

The wooden spoon was brought up to the consort's lips but she seemed uncomfortable with the position, appearing slight awkward.

Honestly, Seol, the person pretending to be the consort, never allowed anyone to fed her since the days she knew how to use her own hands. She had lived in a poor family, and if she was to wait till someone was going to fed her then all the eligible things would all be gone with her sibling's speedy hands. Right now, she felt like useless baby.

"Give it to me," Seol said to the servant.

"But her ladyship," the maid said painfully hesitating.

"Let me," Seol reached out her hand.

After long hesitation the maid finally gave in, and handed the bowl of medicine to the demanding consort.

What Soul hadn't thought of was that her sedation and long worn out, hence when she held the bowl of medicine her nerves all screamed as she had underestimated the severe of the injury. Her hand was weaker than she had thought, while the pain made it even harder to endure.

Her hand gave in and so the bowl of medicine crashed to the bed and the warm liquid was spilled all over. Seol winced in pain while holding her hand to her chest while the maid was apologising while checking if the warm liquid had brought any harm to the consort.

Upon the sight the emperor was about to go to the consort's side but stopped himself in doing so.

"Your ladyship," the maid near cried. "It's all this servant's fault for being careless,"

"It was me who demanded that, how can it be your fault," Seol said between painful groans.

"I'll bring another bowl her ladyship,"

"Could you put it on a small table?"  Seol asked. At least if there was something to put the bowl on, then Seol could still feed herself with the other hand.

"Of course my lady,"

The servant went out and when realising the emperor she was no different from her fellow. Yet as it was an unspoken rule the servant in the palace seemed fluent in reading the emperor'a gesture as if they had been trained in it. Just the mere gaze and the maid knew that the emperor wished to remain as an unseen shadow.

The servant went out to fetch another bowl of medicine. When returning she was heading straight to the consort, however the emperor appeared as a blocking mountain and robbed the maid from the maid, who was still holding the miniature table of a tray-like appearance.

"You cane leave," the emperor commanded.

With a bowl in his hand the man reached the bed to the consort who had not lifted her face to know that the one before her was a different person.

Seol looked up and searched for the miniature table, yet her eyes was welcomed by another existence. Shock widened eyes when she realised that the emperor was holding a spoon to her mouth.

"Open your mouth," The emperor said, his voice filled with authorial.

If it wasn't because he was the emperor Seol would definitely reject.

By command, Seol opened her mouth to allow the bitter herbs to enter. With every spoon the emperor carefully blowed till the vapour dispersed before he gave it to her. Although she was still unfamiliar, and felt like she was treated as a kid, somehow, it didn't felt as bad as she had imagined. If any she suddenly felt a weird sensation when the man attentively treated her with gentleness and care.

The man with the highest status of the country was before her, carefully feeding her a medicine which could be done by any servant.

Despite his cold appearance, and the mask that made him appear distant and reserved, the emperor was actually soft and tender to his consort. How unpredictable.

"Later lady Hae will come visit you," The emperor spoke, breaking the ice.

"She has insisted on coming here so many times but I didn't allow her till you were fully awake."

Seol was not unfamiliar with the woman called Myunghee, if any she had studied everything related to Hae Soo.

"It would help you waking up some memories and also I think she would be better in helping you than I. Since she was like a mother to you.... but if you are not comfortable with it then I won't force you."

It was somewhat strange, when the emperor was asking for her opinion, but nevertheless she didn't feel bad about it.

"I.... I would like to meet her," Seol said softly.