S3.11_Eyes

Chapter 11

After that night Soo remained as a shadow in the emperor's memory. She would be the only one to greet the Emperor when they were to cross paths while he hardly regards her a glance. Both living at the palace yet the gap between them was of unmeasurable lengths.

The emperor has appointed a trained maid to attend her, Soo knew his real intention behind doing so. Disguised as a servant the maid was simply the man's extra pairs of eyes. Maybe he was still doubting her, afterall his personality didn't allow him to trust just anyone, and she didn't impressively earned his trust on their first night.

At the end of every day, the maid would turn to the emperor and report Soo's every move. She was no different from a prisoner being observed. She had no idea what purposes this even served. What could be interesting about a person being locked up? She lived no different from one in prison, a luxurious one but nonetheless a prison.

Soo was in the garden, walking along the flowers trying to distract her thought, yet it didn't have the effect she wished it had. The palace garden was of the finest and rarest view, one a normal peasant wouldn't be able to see in their lifetimes, yet in the eyes of a lonely person, even the blooming flowers would look as funeral decorations.

"A flower doesn't shine if not presented for the right person," a voice snapped her thoughts. Soo turned to her left, realizing it was the astronomer. At this point, she didn't know if she were in the position to laugh or cry.

"Am I speaking to astronomer Jimong or professor Ji of history department?"

"Jimong to your service Consort Hae," The man bowed in a respectful manner.

"Don't get me wrong Astronomer Ji, but I'm not the slightest happy to see you."

"Consort Hae seems to mix up the names, I'm astronomer Jimong not astronomer Ji," The man smiled an annoying friendly smile.

I wonder how history keeps changing but the astronomer is completely fine in every space? Soo mentally thought but masked her face with a forced smile.

"Seems like Consort Hae is still holding a grudge of past happenings." the man spoke wearing the crazy smile only he could possess.

Jimong was right, but how couldn't she resent him? Everything in her life turned for the worse after meeting him. First the engagement, later the incident she didn't want to recall. Everything that separates her from the one she cared for was all going back to this face. It wasn't exactly Jimong's fault, but in reality it never resulted in a good experience to meet him. As if he could read her minds, Jimong laughed out loud, only to fuel her anger with oil.

"Despite different time and space, you can still hate the face resembling another?" Jimong chuckled, pointing at his own face.

"Then despite different time and space wouldn't your love would be for AGR-" Soo kicked his knee.

"Sorry. There was a bee on your knee"

The man groaned hugging his leg tightly.
Getting hit by a bee would probably feel like a blessing compared to getting Soo's grace, in fact he even doubted if there was a bee in the first place.

Seeing the man struggle she didn't feel the slightest sorry. Without a lingering feeling, Soo turned her heals, ready to get out of this garden which didn't longer was alone for her to admire.

"There is something wrong with the Emperor!" The tone held enough power to stop her from going any further. Much more power than she would like to admit. She didn't know if it was the mention of the Emperor that made her froze in horror, or it was a concern that made her unable to process. Soo convinced herself it was the first part.

"You don't say," Soo said, appearing composed.

"Gaining the most powerful position made a person change,..."

"It's not a seat any person can handle. With enormous power follows an even heavier responsibility. Not anyone can understand the pressure on the Emperor's shoulder. Yet there is no one to share his burden ."

The statement sounds like a critique of her neglecting her duty as his wife. But what could she do? During their first meeting, the emperor already become the person Soo find hardest to approach. Moreover, there were people more specialized in strategized planning, more consorts that could serve him, why did Jimong turn to her as the only person to put the blame on.

"The emperor's status makes him above everyone, he could make anyone work with him."

"People are too scared of the emperor-" Jimong said carefully low.

"Just like Consort Hae." The last sentence was not spoken in a way of blaming but rather held a sense of sympathy. Soo turned back, looking at the astronomer who bore the nostalgic look in his eyes. As if he pitied her.

You are right. I'm scared of him. I'm more scared because he resembles someone so bad.

"Once a person is gravely hurt they set up a wall." Jimong spoke as if he read those words in her eyes.

"The higher you are the lonelier is the position. The stronger one appears the more story is there behind that facade. I don't blame consort Hae but will just remind-" Jimong paused, looking at Soo with a serious expression.

"- that his majesty's health is the health of our nation. If things were to happens the blame would only fall on his wives, especially consort Hae."

"There are four consorts to share the responsibility, why would I be alone to take the blame?"

"Cause consort Hae was the only one the Emperor interacted with,"

Jimong's words was a poisoning curse, hunting Soo day and night. Despite that, she couldn't make herself approach the Emperor, no she was too intimidate to do so.

The only thing she could was asking her personal maid about the Emperor's well being. The maid who was meant to be the pair of eyes for the emperor suddenly had to be a pair of eyes for the Consort. In the days the servant had to keep an eye on Soo and report to the emperor. In the evening the maid had to observe the emperor and report Soo.

After a couple of days, the maid noticed the changes of the emperor health, reporting that he seemed more and more tired due to the heavy load of works.

Indeed, Wang So wasn't raised in the palace, he had no idea of how the royal family run the palace. It must be a lot of pressure to live up to the expectation of an Emperor? But why did he turn so cold and hard, especially to Soo when she not once has offended him? She had no clue.

"Tonight, don't report about my daily activities to the emperor," Soo instructed. The servant seemed appalled as if that sentence was more terrifying than any dead sentence.

"The Emperor strictly ordered not to miss a single day if not-"

"Don't worry, I'll personally meet him."

A/N: Think I made this chapter long enough ^^ Do tell what you think about it. If any I'll write the next chapter faster in return 💛