Chapter 51: Happy Anniversary Liv.

LIV

I watch Rob as he pulls his shoes on and adjusts their black laces. He doesn't notice me watching him until he reaches for his coat.

"What?" He asks with a smirk.

I shake my head, then reach out to help him put on his jacket. "So, what are you going to get?" I ask, peeking over his shoulder from behind him. He shrugs the jacket on and laughs, "nice try, Liv."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, "I was just wondering, that's all."

Rob rolls his eyes, then checks to make sure he has everything he needs. "I will see you at six," he says, giving me a chaste kiss.

I smile, then wave as he leaves the house, then drives off. My frame lingers in the doorway a little longer than usual, and when I'm sure he's gone, I quickly close the door and rush into the house.

My phone is placed conveniently on an end table in the foyer, and it's easy for me to grab it and read the text I've been waiting for from Amanda.

Meet me at our place in an hour, I'll explain what I can and let you know what the plan is.

With the phone already in my hand, it's easy for me to dial my mom's number. She picks up on the third ring.

"Ma cherie! Ca va?" She asks, voice as chirpy as ever.

"Bien, et vous?"

"Tres bien. What's up?"

"Are you ready for me to bring the kids over? I need about thirty minutes to get them ready. I just want to make sure you're not busy-"

"Of course, I'm here! I've been looking forward to spending more time with my grand kids." She pauses, but it's only for a second, "you know, I've been delegating, like you've told me to. Well, you and some others. So, I have a lot more time to do other things."

I nod, "that's great. I'm gonna get them ready, and we'll be over soon. Love you, bye!"

"Love you too!"

I hang up quickly, then stuff the phone into my pocket. As I look around me, the house is not in its best shape. There are toys on the floor, some folded laundry sitting in a basket on the couch, and Neil and Jessie emptying their baby bag. Nuru carefully picks up the contents and studies them with a smile.

"Oh my God..." I sigh, exasperated, taking the bag away from them. They start to frown as I collect the contents, and quickly place them back where they belong. And right on cue, they all start whining.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I say to them as rearrange the throw pillows and clean up all their toys. Once everything is back to the way it's supposed to be, I turn to the little ones.

"Vien, let's go get dressed."

Nuru and Neil reach their arms up for me to pick them up, but Jessie stays on the ground, still pouting at me. I help Neil and
Nuru to their feet, holding their hands for support. I lead them towards the steps, expecting Jessie to follow. But when I turn back around, she's still in the living room.

"Jessie, come on," I say as pleasantly as possible. She tilts her head, then lifts her chin defiantly.

"NO."

"Wha-..." I look at her, not sure whether I want to laugh or cry. I mean, they've said no to me before, but not this way. Now it actually seems like she knows what she's saying, and she is clearly still upset about the toys. Her challenging eyes look into mine, and I get a glimpse of how my parents felt for years.