Chapter 37

LIV

"Do you think this is it?" I asked Britney, twirling in front of the mirror with a $70.00 dress on. This is the compromise I made with her, since she wanted me to go for $150, at least. Somehow, I got it down to $70.

This dress sure does feel like a good one for the wedding tomorrow. Dark purple, down to the knees, vintage style, with small polka dots and some sleeve. My cousin, Maddi, whose wedding is tomorrow, asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I was so tempted to say yes, and I did. Then I got pregnant... So, I'm just going to wear something nice.

"Britney," I started, turning to look at her, "is this the one?"

She waves her hand, yawning, "yes, that is the dress. And, it doesn't look like mine."

"Awesome!" I exclaimed, going back into the change room to get out of this dress. "Why are you yawning?" I asked Britney, after hearing her yawn again, over and over.

"I was watching your kids yesterday. Remember?" She stated from outside.

I thought about it for a second, then narrowed my eyes at the door in front of me. I struggled to push the door open, considering I was doubled over to get my jeans back on.

The change room door swings open, and I look Brit right in her eyes, "what did you do?"

She rolls her eyes in response, "how do you know I even did anything?"

"You weren't watching the kids yesterday. I was, and you didn't even come over..." In that exact moment, I got a light bulb, "Britney!"

"I was out with someone."

"A guy?" I ask, getting my tank top, then hoodie on.

"...Yes."

"Oh, I see." I said, coming out of the dressing room with the dress on a hanger. "That's what you were doing..."

"Okay! Don't judge me! You do it all the time, too!" She said defensively, holding up her hands.

"Not so much that I don't sleep."

"Well, maybe I just get it better," she smiled, taunting me which was an open invitation to argue.

I looked at her, ready to go at it, "how would you even- You know what? We're not having this discussion. Just... No."

"Whatever." She got up and went over to a rack of handbags and purses. One particular beige, faux leather clutch, caught her eye. Looking over at me, she had a shimmer in her eyes, "look, Olivia!" She held up the bag, as though she was hosting the shopping channel.

"Isn't it gorgeous?"

I shrugged, snapping on my belt, "yeah, I guess. I mean, it's just clutch."

"Shut up with that bull... We're lifting your budget; get one of these," she commanded, grabbing another clutch, similar in design but vastly differing in colour, a deep burgundy with a hint of purple. You would only know it wasn't black if you were up close; and in the light.

"Does it really go with my dress, Fair Godmother?" I asked, feigning a 20th century Cinderella before the ball. It seemed fitting, of course, considering how Britney was taking charge of my spending today.

She smiled, waving me off and going back to her bags, "Ha, ha. Very funny."

******

I eyed Britney with suspicion, her smiling face constantly aimed at her phone.

"Who are you texting?" I asked her. This was supposed to be a nice shopping day lunch at the mall, as we were sitting in the food court near the windows and the city view. I had ordered shrimp udon noodle soup, and Britney had a double bacon cheeseburger meal.

But, that burger was getting cold. And her phone? Well... It hadn't left her grip.

"Britney," I said, trying to get her attention.

Lifting her head slightly, her eyes still on her phone, she kind of responded, "hm?"

"Who are you texting?"

"Ryan."

My eyes opened, completely, in shock. She immediately looked up, throwing her hand over her mouth as she realized she'd revealed her secret. Of course she didn't want me to know. The hand-me-up boyfriend of the Sister Squad.

I closed my eyes, doing a stress-relieving exercise to make sure I didn't scream at her in the middle of this food court. We weren't exactly 'regular' or blending in with the crowd here. So, heads were already turning as it was. If I started a scene, phones would come out.

Breathe, Olivia...

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two...

One...

Breathe...

You're with Robert now, if anything Manda did you a favour...

Inhaling, then exhaling deeply, I told her, "5.6 million."

She looked at me, confused. "What?"

I finally opened my eyes, looking around us, "there are over 5.6 million men in this province we live in, many of which come from Toronto. I know a lot of them are single, and enough of them would be good for you. So, why? Why do you have to go for my first one, first boyfriend? You had Rob, too. I mean, don't you think it's embarrassing to have had your sisters tongue-wrestle with your first almost-love?"

"This isn't about you, Liv." She stated, narrowing her eyes, as though she had the right to say that. It never seemed to be about me. It's always Amanda, or Brit, maybe Rob needed something, and the kids... I'm their mother. But, me?

"Of course not. It would be nice, though, to mention the person I'm with without you, or Amanda, having any memories with him. You know?" I looked at her, finally, smiling now, "but, hey. Let's just go about our day."

I could see the guilt in her eyes, and I didn't feel bad about that at all.

"Liv-"

"No, it's fine," I told her, waving off any kind of apology. I raised my cup of soda slightly, tilting it towards here. "I wish you two well. À vôtre santé!"

*********

A/N

Hey Everyone!!

Thanks so much for reading this chapter! Don't forget to vote and/or comment if you enjoyed it, as always. Be sure to check out my other stories, as some of you have already done(which I appreciate)!

I will 'see' you all soon, with another update!

And, that YouTube channel is coming! ^^

Much Love!

~HanaMay~