Chapter 19: The Last Straw

OLIVIA

"Britney." My sister looked at me when I called her name. "Yes, sweet sister." She said, and I almost cracked.

Trying to be serious here.

"Where is Amanda?" I asked her. She looked around for a bit, and then nodded as though she just remembered something. "She said she was going back to her apartment to grab some things."

"And when was that?" Rob asked.

"....Like, 4 hours ago." Britney replied.

"Britney!" I exclaimed and she raised her hands defensively.

"Sorry! I was watching TV and she just handed Neil to me."

I looked at her, confused. "You don't call him C.J?" She shook her head,

"Legally, that's not his name anymore."

I was about to say something, when the twins started crying. Both of them. I sighed, "Come on Rob. The twins are awake." I told him as I headed for the steps leading upstairs.

He took a hold of my arm, stopping me. I looked at him, saying 'what' with my eyes. "How do you know that both of them are crying?" He asked. "Listen." I told him.

We stood there and you could hear them basically taking turns wailing.

Wahh! Wahh!!!

"See?" I told him, heading up the steps. I could hear him follow me up to our room, where they were waiting...loudly.

I sighed and did my best to smile, despite the deafening screams.

"It's okay, mama's here."

"What about me?"

"Oh, yes, dad too."

******

"Okay, Brit, we're going." I said to my sister as Rob and I came downstairs with the twins.

"Okay-. Wait, you're taking them with you?" She asked, giving me a double-take.

"Well, yeah. I haven't fed them yet."

"You mean breastfed them?" She gave me this look and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't judge my choice of feeding. You don't have kids." At this point, I had my shoes on and my sweater.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"We're going to find Manda, of course."

******

"This is so much fun, I feel like we're detectives or something!" Britney exclaimed as she jumped with excitement in the back seat. She invited herself along with C.J. So, we had to take the van instead of the 5-seat.

Rob and I were sitting in the front, and she was beside C.J while the twins were in the middle.

"Brit... Did you drink any coffee today?" I asked, genuinely concerned.

"Yeah! How'd you know, sis?!"

I sighed and shook my head.

"What's wrong?" Rob looked at me, confused.

"She has this crazy reaction to caffeine. Literally everyone in my family knows how to make homemade soda, punch, decaf coffee and tea, and chocolate.

Well, except for Amanda, of course." I looked in my backpack for some water.

"But, I used to buy her coffee all the time when we were together." Rob said, driving when the light turned green. I looked at him, really irritated.