Chapter 36

ROB

"You're out pretty late tonight," Liv says through the phone. I can tell she's tired, though it's only 9:00 pm. Plus, her yawn gives it away.

"I have a lot of papers to grade. I'll be home soon. Okay?" I ask, my eyes focused on the laptop screen in front of me.

"...Sure. Love you," she responds.

"I love you. Bye." As soon as I say that, she hangs up.

Now I can focus on this problem. This email... I know who it's from but, why now? I thought I handled this a long time ago. We had an agreement, but I guess that's not enough.

Someone knocks on the door, then, taking me out of my thoughts.

"Who is it?" I call out, asking.

The door knob turns, and the person walks in, "Hi, Robert."

Recognising the voice immediately, I drag my eyes up from the screen to where this person is standing. A smile tugs at my lips, and I shake my head, "long time, no see."

Taking a seat in front of my desk, the person looks around the room and smiles. "You were always smart. Always going to do something with your life," they say, now looking at me. I shut my laptop closed, sighing.

"What are you doing here, Alex?"

Alex grins, and shrugs, "I missed my favourite guy. That's no way to greet someone, Robby."

"Well, you're free to go. If you couldn't already tell..." I get up, making my way to the door in a gesture for Alex to leave, "I'm busy."

Alex gets up and closes the door, "you're funny. Did you really think that was the end?" Alex pulls out a phone, types something, then shoves it in my face.

"Or did you want me to call Olivia and let her know what you're actually doing here?"

I can tell by those eyes that Alex won't back down. I reluctantly make my way back to my chair and take a seat, "I'm listening."

Alex, after sitting in the other chair says, "enough with the games. We have a problem."

******

As I slowly close the front door, my attempt to be discreet doesn't go unnoticed.

"Welcome back-"

"God! Liv..." I double over, hands on my knees. "I didn't think you would be up."

"Tough day?" She asks, smiling as she takes my bag from me.

"Yes. I thought I only needed a few hours. But, look at the time," I say, innocently glancing over at the oven's clock. I feel her arms encircle my waist, as well as the laptop back that's hanging from her shoulder.

"Let's go to bed," she says, and I can feel her heart beating on my back. It's calm, perfect.

I turn around and pick her up, causing her to laugh out loud, "what are you doing, Rob?"

"Carrying my princess to bed. What else?"

I can see the look she's giving me, like I'm wrong about something. "I'm a queen. Get it right."

After I carry her up the steps and to the bed, I start to really take in my surroundings.

This is a good life. A happy one. With the woman I love-

"Rob?" I blink, my eyes darting from corner to corner of our room. They finally reach Liv's eyes, hers filled with concern and empathy. "You okay?"