Part Three - Chapter Thirty-Four: Goodbye Chelsea

Fernando took a deep breath pulling on his jersey for the last time, he knew that whatever happened today win or lose this was the last time he would be Fernando Torres, Chelsea’s number nine.

Fernando had never thought that his final day at the club would come so quickly and he knew that after tomorrow he would be back at his childhood club again.

“Are you ready Nando?” Frank asked walking past his friend, everyone knew that this was Fernando’s last match with them and most of the team were sad to see him go.

Fernando had been at nearly three years now and while it might not have been the best three years of Fernando’s career but he was one of the team and he was now leaving.

“As I’ll ever be,” Fernando replied smiling at his friend, he wasn’t sure completely how he felt yet but he knew that he was going to miss living in England when he returned to Spain.

Fernando looked around as he thought how poetic it seemed that his last match for Chelsea would be against his former club Liverpool, the first team that he had played against when he had joined the blues.

Frank offered him a warm smile knowing that it would be strange not to see Fernando in the dressing room but he wasn’t surprised that Fernando had chosen to leave now.

It was time for Fernando to start thinking about his future, it not only affected him but his wife and children; it was them that he had to think about and moving now was the only safe option that he had.

Stepping out of the locker room, Fernando took a deep breath knowing that he was going to make his family proud of him.

***

Cassidy smiled as she rested a hand on her bump and sat down, she had brought the children to watch their father play in his last match for Chelsea.

Cassidy had dressed them all in their Chelsea kits with the word Papa on the back, they were all excited and Cassidy knew this would mean a lot to her husband.

Cassidy was wearing a blue maternity denim waisted top with ties and black leggings paired with navy ankle boots; she was too big to fit into her old Chelsea jersey so had opted just to wear Chelsea’s colours.

There was little point in buying a new jersey since she wouldn’t be using it after today anyway, Fernando would be an Atlético Madrid player and there colours were very different from the ones he wore right now.

“So how are you feeling?” Christine asked sitting down next to Cassidy, she wasn’t surprised to see her friend at the final match of the year.

Everyone had been sad to hear that Fernando was heading back to Madrid and they knew that Cassidy would be going with them; however they weren’t surprised that Fernando had chosen to leave after the turbulent time he’d had under Mourinho.

“I’ve been better,” Cassidy said honestly as she flashed a smile at the woman next to her, she was thirty weeks pregnant and in ten weeks’ time would have another child to look after.

Cassidy was a little nervous about having another baby, especially now that she had four to keep an eye on; Nora was a great help and Cassidy was surprised just how well she got along with Olalla’s daughter.

“Nervous about the move?” Christine guessed knowing that it was a big move for the woman that had never really left London, it would be strange and difficult for her to move all the way to Spain.

“Of course,” Cassidy said checking on the children, she smiled as Nora kept the twins and Leo in line knowing that the four year old was a life saver especially while she was heavily pregnant.

Cassidy was still doing her best to learn more Spanish and prepare for her life in another country, she knew Flori was more than happy to help her settle and help with the children.

“But if it makes Nando happy then I don’t mind, I’d follow him to the end of the world,” Cassidy continued with a soft smile on her face, she would do anything for her husband and she was so proud of how far he had come.

Fernando had changed so much from the man that Cassidy had first met when he unhappily arrived at Chelsea nearly three years ago.

They had come so far and so much had changed for them that they were clearly happier than either of them had ever been.

Cassidy watched as the match kicked off, she hadn’t seen Fernando before the match and she knew that he must have felt emotional about this being his last match; he had loved playing for Chelsea but it was time for him to move on.

***

“You played so well,” Cassidy said walking over to her husband and kissed him, she brushed her fingers through his hair as Fernando held her for a moment before she moved to allow him to speak with the children.

Cassidy rested a hand on her bump knowing that he was emotional that this was his final game at the club, she wondered how he would feel when it actually came time for him to retire.

“How do you feel?” Cassidy asked carefully watching Fernando as he cuddled each of his children, she knew that he was trying to be strong about leaving but he couldn’t hide his feelings from her.

Fernando looked at his wife knowing that she could see right through him, he didn’t need to lie about how he was feeling to her; he shook his head not having the words to describe how he felt right now.

Of course, Fernando had been sad when he had left Liverpool and now he was leaving Chelsea, he didn’t know how he felt about all of this; it seemed so unreal.

“Nando,” Cassidy whispered moving towards him, her heart aching for the fact that he was trying to be okay when he wasn’t.

Cassidy hated that he was upset and wished there was something that she could do about it to cheer him up; they were going to have to leave soon to head home.

“I’ll be okay,” Fernando said looking at her, he didn’t want her worrying when she had enough on her plate with four children and being in her last trimester.

Cassidy was important to him and he knew that he was doing this move for her and the children it wasn’t like when he had come to Chelsea because that was what Olalla had wanted him to do.

“I’m just going to miss this place,” Fernando said thinking wistfully about how coming to Chelsea had led him to finding the best thing in his right.

It was the only reason that he had been okay, he had Cassidy and that was all that mattered to him; if he ever had to choose between his career and her then it would always be her.

Cassidy nodded her head as she hugged him, she knew what he meant and she couldn’t believe that this chapter of their lives was coming to an end.

Cassidy had never really thought that any of this could happen, she was happily married and had twins with the man that she loved with one more on the way plus she had two adorable step-children because of that man.

“We’ll be okay,” Cassidy whispered knowing that tomorrow they would be getting on a plane to start their new lives in Madrid.