Part Three - Chapter Eleven: Cassidy's Surprise

Bouncing her knee as she sat in the doctor’s waiting room, Cassidy nibbled on her thumbnails as she waited to be called inside; she was relieved that her parents had taken the twins so that she could come.

It had been three weeks since her wedding day and a week since Fernando had headed off to Brazil to play for his national team, Cassidy had allowed herself one evening to mope around without her husband before she had pulled herself together and focused on the twins.

Cassidy had started to throw up the day before, when it had happened again that morning there was no illusion in Cassidy’s mind that she was pregnant again; she had called the doctor’s for an appointment straight away to find out if she was.

“Mrs Torres,” called the doctor called making Cassidy smile at her new name, she loved being Mrs Fernando Torres and she knew that was who she would be for the rest of her life and she wouldn’t have it any other way.

Cassidy got to her feet and moved towards her doctor, who smiled at her before they headed out of sight and for the office; she wanted to surprise Fernando when she travelled to Brazil if she was pregnant.

“So what can I do for you today?” the doctor asked signalling for Cassidy to take a seat as she sat down in her chair, she knew that the brunette wouldn’t have made an appointment if it wasn’t important; Cassidy was one of her least fussy patients.

Cassidy took a deep breath gathering her thoughts, she was a little nervous about what could be said since she knew what having a new baby would mean for her and Fernando.

“I think I might be pregnant… I’ve been nuisance, my breasts are tender and I’ve been emotional lately,” Cassidy said looking at the doctor, she knew that this was the quickest way to find out since she couldn’t just walk into chemist and get a pregnancy test.

The press would have a field day if they saw Cassidy carrying the test, they would print the news that she was pregnant even if she wasn’t; this was something that she hadn’t had a problem with when she fell pregnant with the twins but she had the problem now.

“Okay then… we’ll do a test,” the doctor said handing Cassidy a test before she sent her to the toilet to take it, so that they could find out if she was pregnant for a second time.

Cassidy quickly took the test before she returned to the doctor’s office, she closed the door behind her knowing that in a few minutes she would have her answer; she swallowed as she handed it carefully to the doctor.

The doctor set it on the table before going through some things that could be helpful if Cassidy was pregnant again; most of the stuff she already knew since it was her second pregnancy, she just hoped that it wasn’t with twins again.

“Congratulations Mrs Torres… you are pregnant,” the doctor said making Cassidy smile, she slowly moved to rest her hand on her stomach knowing that Fernando would be thrilled when she told him.

***

Cassidy grinned sitting down to watched the Spain vs Tahiti with the twins, she hadn’t told anyone about what the doctor had said since she wanted Fernando to be the first to know that they were going to have a baby.

Cassidy was wearing a red Spanish national team kit top and kick flare jeans paired with purple Nike dual fusion trainers; she was wearing Fernando’s number like the twins who were eager to see their father play.

“Look there’s your papa,” Cassidy said pointing out Fernando to the twins, she smiled to herself as she watched her husband feeling proud of him; he’d had a tough couple of years and he had still made it onto the national team.

Leia and Noah clapped their hands at the sight of their father, skyping had allowed Fernando to see them a lot while he was away but it wasn’t going to make up for the fact that he wasn’t there with his family right now.

Cassidy grinned watching her husband on the screen, she knew that she wasn’t the only one having a hard time with being apart right now; Fernando had called her often enough at night just to hear her voice as he fell asleep because he missed her.

Leia frowned looking at her mother as she pulled her attention from the screen, she wanted her father to hold her and cuddle her like he usually did and she didn’t understand why he hadn’t come home.

The two fourteen month olds didn’t understand what their father did for a living, all they knew was that he was often on telling playing with a ball; Fernando was just happy that they often just watched him for some of his matches.

Cassidy sighed as she carefully moved to sit Leia on her lap as she cuddled Noah close, she seemed to understand what the twins were thinking since they hadn’t seen their father properly in weeks because of the honeymoon and now the confederations cup.

The only plus side that Cassidy could come up with about the tournament was that Fernando would get a couple of weeks off before he went back to training for Chelsea; the players that were playing for their national teams wouldn’t be included in the pre-season friendlies.

The couple had already decided that they would fly out to Ibiza to join Fernando’s family for a small get away; the twins didn’t often get to see his parents and the last thing that Fernando wanted was for his children to grow up without knowing them.

***

Fernando rolled his eyes as he watched his team-mates celebrate, he couldn’t have been happier to score four goals during the match; it had him feel like his old self and he couldn’t wait to speak with his wife.

Fernando missed seeing his wife every day and he knew that in five days’ time, his wife and children would be flying out to join him; Spain were at the top of their group and they were sure to get through to the next stage of the confederations cup.

“Are you going to join the celebrations?” Sergio asked as the two headed back to their hotel room, they were always room-mates and the Sevillian knew just how much Fernando was missing Cassidy.

Juan glanced up at Fernando as they walked passed him, they were still on sticky turf after their fall out and Juan understood that it would take them some time for them to fix their friendship.

“I want to call Cass first,” Fernando said messing with his 18ct gold two colour fifth carat diamond ring, he knew that she would be waiting for him to call and he wanted to speak with her since he’d heard from David, who had spoken to Cassandra that Cassidy hadn’t been well the last few days.

The two footballers headed into their hotel room and closed the door after them,

Sergio headed straight for the bathroom so that he could start getting ready to go out while Fernando moved to charge his phone; he didn’t want his phone dying as he talked to his wife.

However someone knocking at the door stole his attention, he frowned as he turned around wondering who it could be; he opened it to find someone that he clearly wasn’t expecting.

“Olalla?” Fernando breathed staring at his ex-wife, he didn’t know why she had come to Brazil but it couldn’t be good.