Part One - Chapter Three: Building a Friendship

“Fernando, I didn't expect to see you here today,” Cassidy said as she spotted the footballer walking into the building, she tilted her head curiously wondering why he was at the stadium on his day off.

Fernando stopped walking and looked at her surprised as if he hadn't thought that he would see her today; everyone else was enjoying some time with their families but Fernando had snuck into the stadium so that he could get some practice.

“I thought I would get a little practice in for scoring,” Fernando said as he looked at her, he swallowed as he walked towards Cassidy; he was a little disappointed about his first few games at Chelsea, he had thought that playing would get better but it hadn't.

“Don’t worry so much, when the time is right you will score,” Cassidy said as she walked towards him, Fernando tilted his head as he watched her; he had only seen the brunette a couple of times since he had joined the team and only knew what his team-mates had told him about her.

“Thanks,” Fernando said as he offered her a weak smile, he shifted awkwardly as he tried to think of something else to say; he had found himself alone a lot recently and he didn't know what to do anymore.

"So what are you doing here today?” Fernando asked her, he looked around taking note that the car park was mostly empty and he doubted that she’d been called into work for anything since the players were off for the day to recover from the match the day before.

Cassidy smiled at him as she pulled her car keys from her pocket.

“I had some paperwork to sort out,” Cassidy said as she watched Fernando; since he had joined the club, she had become a little curious about him.

“How about we go for some lunch? You look like you need someone to talk to,” Cassidy said making Fernando look at her surprised.

***

Sitting in a café just down the street from the stadium, Cassidy sipped on her coffee as she watched Fernando who was sat across from her; she tilted her head as she watched him curiously.

“So how are things at home?” Cassidy asked making Fernando look at her, he swallowed nervously wondering how she seemed to read him; the last time she had spoken with him alone like this was when she had discovered his reasons for transferring to Chelsea.

“Still a little awkward…Olalla seems to be settling down here though,” Fernando said making Cassidy nod her head as she watched the footballer, she could still see that he missed Liverpool and that he wasn’t happy with his move to the team.

Fernando ran a hand through his brown hair, he didn't know what it was but Olalla’s behaviour had only gotten weirder since they had moved into their new home; she had slowly started to pull away from him.

“And what about you? You’ve been here two weeks,” Cassidy asked as she watched him, Fernando swallowed as he stared at her; he didn't know how to respond to her questions.

Cassidy watched him curiously as she tilted his head, there was more to Fernando than anyone saw; she had a feeling that he was suffering and had no one to turn to.

“Listen… if you ever need someone to talk to about anything, then here is my number,” Cassidy said as she wrote down her number for him.

Fernando blinked as Cassidy handed it to him, he was a little taken back that she was giving him her number and was offering him some sign of friendship that he desperately needed.

“You don’t have to do this Cassidy,” Fernando said as he looked at the brunette, he put the number in his pocket knowing that he would need it; ever since he had moved to London, he had found himself increasingly lonely.

“You’re part of the Chelsea family whether you like it or not, besides you look like you could use a friend,” Cassidy said with a small smile, she remembered when she first joined the team and how nervously and lonely she had felt; she had been an outcast because she was a woman working in a man’s world.

“Thank you,” Fernando said smiling at her, he didn't know what he would do if he didn't have someone to turn to; he couldn't talk with Olalla about anything football related since she hated the sport and she never listened to anything that he had to say to her anyway.

“Trust me… suffering in silence, it doesn’t work,” Cassidy said making the footballer look at her, he wondered briefly if she was speaking from experience and why she was being so nice to him.

Cassidy smiled sadly, she could see that Fernando was suffering and he seemed like such a nice guy; she just hoped that his wife would warm to him soon.

***

“Where have you been?” Olalla snapped as Fernando stepped through the front door, he stared at her confused wondering what he had done to be greeted that way; he had told her that he was going to train for a while.

“I went to the stadium for a while,” Fernando said making Olalla glare at him, he furrowed his brow as he realised that she was dressed up and briefly wondered if they’d decided to go out on a date or something like they used to do.

“Well I’m off out with some of my friends so I will see you when I get back,” Olalla said smiling as she kissed his cheek and moved passed him, Fernando watched her stunned as she prepared to go out for the night; he had thought that they’d be eating dinner together as a family.

“The children are asleep but Leo should need feeding in an hour,” Olalla said as she prepared to leave, she looked at her husband wondering if he’d ever be the man that she loved again; she sighed as she shook her head before opening the door.

“When will you be back?” Fernando said as he tried to figure out what he was going to do when his wife left, he had never been left with both of their children at dinner time before and with both of them being under two years old, he knew that it was going to be a struggle.

“Late so don’t wait up,” Olalla said before she blew him a kiss and walked out of their home leaving her husband behind; Fernando stared at the door stunned that she had done that to him.

Fernando swallowed as he tried to wrap his head around the fact that his wife had left him alone like this; he ran a hand through his hair before he pulled the piece of paper from his pocket that Cassidy had given him.

Taking a deep breath, Fernando stared at the number for a moment longer before he remembered Cassidy’s words when she had given it to him.

Pulling out his mobile, Fernando paused for a moment before he dialled the number and pressed the phone to his ear; he knew that he needed help.

“Hola Cassidy?” Fernando said as he shifted nervously, he didn't want to annoy her while she was at home; he closed his eyes as he heard the brunette’s voice.

“I need some help, Olalla has gone out for the night and left me with the children and I’m not sure what to do,” Fernando said awkwardly, he felt weak because he was asking for help when it came to his own children.

Cassidy had been right, he did need someone right now and Olalla was pushing him away as if he didn’t matter.