Part Two - Chapter Thirteen: What's The Mata?

Fernando glared at Juan as Frank jogged forward and helped him back to his feet, several of their team-mates stared at the younger Spaniard wondering what had gotten into him; over the last few weeks Juan had been lashing out at Fernando more and more and no one seemed to know why.

“Are you okay?” John asked looking at Fernando, who nodded his headed as he rubbed his ankle and looked over at Juan; he didn’t know what to do anymore and he had a feeling that their friendship was finished after what had happened over the summer.

Juan had been far from pleased when news had broken of Fernando’s engagement to Cassidy; he had thought that the brunette would have some sense and turn Fernando down so that maybe that he would finally get his chance with her.

The team were meant to be preparing for the match against Arsenal, but with Juan’s constant attacks on Fernando it was clear that there was something going on.

Roberto Di Matteo looked far from pleased with how the two Spaniards were going about all of this and it was clear he was going to want to know what was going on.

“I don’t know what has gotten into him,” Frank said bewildered, he had thought that Juan was close friends with Fernando and he was shocked to see how fast their friendship had fallen in recent weeks; he wasn’t sure what had caused it but he hoped it wouldn’t affect the team dynamic for any coming matches.

“I do,” Fernando said as he looked at Juan, he wished that there was some way to help his friend; he hated knowing that the younger man was hurting because of his relationship with Cassidy, however he wasn’t going to hide his happiness when he hadn’t done anything wrong.

***

“Torres, Mata… a word,” Roberto barked as the players prepared to head for the locker room, he didn’t know what was going on and he hoped that it could be resolved quickly; he didn’t need this right now with Roman breathing down his neck about winning matches and titles this season.

Fernando and Juan walked over to their club manager, knowing that this wasn’t going to be pleasant especially with how Juan had been lashing out lately.

“I don’t know what is going on here… but it ends now,” Roberto snapped making Fernando nod his head while Juan rolled his blue eyes, he didn’t care how childish he was being but he knew that Fernando deserved what was happening; he didn’t deserve someone like Cassidy.

“Now tomorrow if I see anything like I did today… you’ll both be benched until next season,” Roberto warned the two Spaniards before he walked away from them; he didn’t care what their problems were as long as they kept them away from training and any matches that the team had.

Juan scoffed as he turned on his heel and stormed away from Fernando, he didn’t care what Roberto said; he wasn’t going to let this go anytime soon.

Fernando sighed as he followed after his friend, he knew that this needed sorting and now before any more trouble arrived; he called after Juan who ignored him.

“Juan would you tell me what is going on?” Fernando said walking into the locker room, a couple of the other players paused and looked at the two Spaniards wondering what was going on; they all knew something was off between the two friends but no one knew what.

Juan stopped walking and turned to face Fernando, he stared at the other man before shaking his head and laughing.

“Don’t act like you don’t know… you know how I feel about Cassidy,” Juan spat glaring at Fernando, he wasn’t going to hide how he felt anymore; he had already lost Lorena because of how he felt for the brunette.

A couple of players murmured at the revelation that Juan had feelings for Cassidy, they looked at Fernando knowing that this was far from easy for him especially when he’d asked the brunette to marry him two months ago.

“What do you want me to do Juan? I’ve been with Cass for eighteen months and we are getting married next June,” Fernando said trying to understand what his friend wanted; he knew that Juan wasn’t going to warm to the idea anytime soon but he wanted him to understand.

The younger footballer glared at Fernando, he knew what was going to happen and he was prepared to do whatever it took to make Cassidy leave the older man; he knew it was wrong but he wanted her for his own.

“I don’t know Fernando… but I can’t watch you both be happy when I’m in love with her, she deserves someone so much better than you,” Juan said making Fernando run a hand through his blonde hair; he didn’t know what to do anymore but he was slowly starting to get annoyed with the other man, he didn’t know what he would do if Juan kept pushing his lick with him like this.

“What like you? You used Lorena for your own gain,” Fernando said thinking about the producer, he had heard what had happened between her and Juan; he felt horrible that she had been used just so Juan could try and get over his feelings for Cassidy before he threw her aside.

Juan stared at him furiously before he lashed out and punched Fernando, he was pulled away from Fernando so that he couldn’t do anymore damage; but he couldn’t help but be pleased at the sight of his former friend’s blood.

Fernando wiped blood from his face as he looked at Juan, he didn’t know how they had gotten to this place but he knew there was no way back for them now; Frank handed him some tissues and John made sure that Juan couldn’t lash out again.

“This ends now… Cassidy choose Fernando and you have to respect that Juan,” John said standing front of the younger man, he stared at him sadly knowing that he was hurting and that nothing was going to be easy for Juan while Fernando was happy with Cassidy.

***

“What happened?” Cassidy asked pushing herself to her feet and set down the baby monitor, she quickly moved to Fernando as she stared at his bloody nose knowing that this couldn’t be good.

The footballer shook his head as he smiled at her weakly, he didn’t want her to worry about what was going on at the club; Cassidy didn’t return to work for another month and he wanted her to be prepared for when she had to leave the twins behind.

“Nando?” Cassidy pushed taking his hand and dragged him towards the downstairs toilet, she knew that something had happened and it worried her that he wasn’t telling her what was going on.

Fernando sighed as he sat on the edge of the bathtub and allowed her to start cleaning his nose, he winced as she smiled at him softly knowing that he was trying to protect her.

“Juan still not warming to the engagement?” Cassidy guessed making Fernando nod his head, he wrapped his arms around her as he thought of his friendship with Juan; he doubted that things would ever be the same for them if Juan ever got over what had happened.

Cassidy sighed as she hugged Fernando, she felt horrible that she had come between the two friends even if she was always going to choose Fernando no matter what.