Part Two - Chapter Fourteen: Returning to Work

“You’re back,” Frank said moving to hug Cassidy, he hadn’t seen her much while she had been on maternity leave and today was her first day back; the twins were spending the day with her mother since they hadn’t found a baby sitter just yet to watch them.

Fernando chuckled as he shouldered his bag, he knew how much his fiancée had been missed while she had been gone and he knew that she had missed working with the team.

“I missed you too Frank,” Cassidy laughed pulling back from Frank, she was wearing a teal satin wrap shirt and black skinny jeans paired with black gold heart ankle boots and a tan shopper and purse; she had wanted to be prepared for her return in every way possible.

Fernando wrapped his arm around Cassidy as he spotted Juan arriving for training, he knew that the other man wasn’t going to make things easy for him; they hadn’t spoken to each other since Juan had punched him a month ago.

“So how are the twins?” Frank asked as they headed into the building, he looked at Juan who was storming towards the locker room; he hoped that the younger man wouldn’t cause any problems for the couple now that Cassidy was back at work.

“They’re doing well… they’re six months old now,” Cassidy said beaming, she loved the twins and was a little sad that she was back at work now; Fernando had supported her no matter what she had chosen, he would have been happy if she had chosen to quit her job all together.

***

Cassidy sipped on her coffee as she looked through the notes that she had been handed, she had an interview to do and she hadn’t been pleased to hear that it was with Juan; the brunette was far from happy about what he had done to Fernando.

Lorena smiled at her as she passed, the other brunette had never held Cassidy responsible for what had happened; she had known that Juan had cared for someone else when she had started to go out with him and wasn’t surprised when things had gone sour between them because that person was getting serious with someone else.

“Hola Cassidy,” Juan said a smile lightening his face, he walked quickly over to Cassidy not noticing that she tensed as he greeted her; he hadn’t been able to see her while she was on maternity leave since Fernando wouldn’t let him after what he had done.

“Juan,” Cassidy said stiffly sitting down, she focused on her notes as she tried to ignore the footballer; if she tried to talk to him then she’d smack him for what he had done to Fernando.

Lorena rolled her eyes at the puppy-dog look on Juan’s face as he looked at Cassidy, she wondered why he couldn’t see that Cassidy wasn’t interested in him that way.

Juan watched Cassidy as she looked through her notes, he hoped to talk her out of her engagement to Fernando so that he could finally have a chance with her; he still didn’t think that the older man deserved her.

“Okay… let’s get this interview started,” Lorena said walking past her ex-boyfriend, she ignored him knowing that if he even thought about messing with Cassidy’s relationship then he’d have to deal with her.

***

Juan sighed in relief when the interview finished, he had been hinting at his feelings for Cassidy and he knew that she had picked up on it; he just hoped he’d be able to convince her that he was worth the trouble.

“So how have you been?” Juan asked as Cassidy pushed herself to her feet, she glanced at him annoyed as she headed off the set and thought about heading home with Fernando; she needed to pick up the twins and then speak with her sister, who was having some problems at home.

“I’ve been good,” Cassidy said handing the notes to an assistant and moved to collect her bag so that she could get ready to leave; Juan followed her eagerly knowing that he had to be quick if he wanted to talk to her.

“And the twins?” Juan asked, he hadn’t seen them since before the international break and he hated that Fernando was keeping him away; he wanted to be there for his friend and if this continued then he’d miss out on so much.

“They are fine,” Cassidy said shouldering her bag, she nodded at Lorena as she left the studio and hurried down the corridor. Cassidy wanted to get to Fernando as quickly as possible, she didn’t want to spend time with Juan right now however he just kept on following her.

Juan jogged as he kept up with Cassidy, he knew that his former friend had probably warned her about him but he wasn’t going to give up; he pulled her to a stop making Cassidy look at him annoyed.

“What is it you want Juan?” Cassidy asked looking at the Spaniard, she knew that the last thing that she wanted to do was give him false hope.

“I want you give me a fair chance,” Juan said trying to take her hands, he smiled at her knowing that if he could just show her that he was a better choice than Fernando then he could win her over.

Cassidy sighed as she pulled back from Juan and took a step back, she glanced at the end of the corridor where she spotted Fernando waiting with Frank and John; the three footballers were hovering in case something happened.

“Juan I don’t see you that way… I love Fernando and I am going to marry him,” Cassidy said attempting to let Juan down gently; she watched him hoping that he would understand, she didn’t want him getting the wrong idea and she didn’t want to lead him on.

Juan shook his head as he took a step closer to Cassidy, he knew that they were being watched and he hoped that this would prove that he was the better option; he needed to make everyone see that he loved Cassidy.

Cassidy opened her mouth to protest when Juan pulled her into a kiss, she stood frozen as she wondered what the hell was going on before she pushed him away; she stared at him speechless as Juan smiled at her.

However neither of them got to react before Fernando yanked the footballer back and punched him as John and Frank surged forward to stop him; Cassidy swallowed as she moved to stop her fiancé from doing anything else.

“Nando,” Cassidy said wrapping her arms around him so that he wouldn’t do anything that he would later come to regret; he held her close as he glared at his former friend wondering what he was thinking.

“Juan that doesn’t change anything… I only see you as a friend, I’m sorry,” Cassidy said looking at him, she felt sorry for him knowing that he really liked her; she wanted him to move on and she hoped that he wasn’t going to cause any problems for them later on.

Juan glared at Fernando as he looked up at the couple, he knew that it had been a risk in kissing the brunette but it had been his only chance that he had to show her how he felt.

“Mata my office,” Roberto called making the group jump and look at the manager who looked far from pleased; this had been happening a lot recently and he wanted it to stop.

Juan scoffed before he followed after Roberto, he couldn’t believe that he was the one being punished when Fernando was the one that attacked him.

This was far from over and Juan was determined to win Cassidy.